Unable to update channel guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by CodeButcher, Mar 2, 2020.

1. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I just noticed that my channel guide has not updated in the 7 days. I was searching ahead for a show and it shows, "To Be Announced" or "Title Unavailable" for all channels. I tried to force an update and to watch it fail with "network connection error". My internet connection is normal, so I think it's a server issue. I rebooted all my connections as well as TIVO Roamio.

Is anyone else having this same problem getting the channel guide updated?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No. Try switching the Roamio to WiFi as a test.

If there is a guide update issue (other than the usual ones) check this thread: Daily Guide Updates

3. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I'm using Ethernet to connect to my router, and a Static IP. It did connect once early this morning, but when I tried to force an update it craps out again.

I checked the Daily Guide Updates link, and getting similar problems getting the guide to update.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It failed on wireless also?

5. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I did not try it until now, and it worked. Is my ethernet failing? It had not updated since Monday until now when I used the Wireless.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It is not unknown to have some part of a TiVo fail. HDMI is the usual culprit. There's a screen that shows network status. Compare the wired against the wireless. Only difference should be the MAC address and the last octet of the IP address. Note: in case you didn't notice, the wired connector will cause automatic switching to wireless when it is removed. Same for reverse.

7. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I've wasted months of my life troubleshooting "software problems" that were actually bad cables or connectors (I'm an electrical engineer for a living). It seems impossible that a cable or connector that works and isn't touched would ever fail, but they do.

If you have a spare Ethernet cable or a spare known working port on your router, it might be time for you to play "swap the cables/ports" to see if you can figure out where the failure is (TiVo Ethernet port, Ethernet cable, or router port). At least the Roamio has wireless to give you a backup.