Unable to stream Netflix and Amazon

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by ando1, Mar 25, 2019.

1. ando1

ando1 New Member

Mar 17, 2009

Advertisements

First of all, I apologize for the lengthy post, but I am really hoping someone in this community can help or provide some insight as to what the problem is.
    I have been having this issue for over a month now and TiVo support has been unable to determine what is going on. I have 2 Bolts that all of the sudden cannot stream anything on Netflix and Amazon. For Netflix I get an error code of tvq-pm-100 (5.6.1) and Amazon just states that I have insufficient bandwidth. The other streaming services such as YouTube, Tubi, and Yahoo Sports work on the Bolts without issue. I also have 2 TiVo minis that work fine. I have a FIOS 1Gbps connection and can stream both of these services at 4K on all other devices in my home.

When I first called TiVo support, they had me unplug the Bolts, uncheck the apps from the user preferences menu several times which has not helped. Yesterday I called Netflix to see if they had any suggestions, and they said that everything on my account and my network is fine. They sent me the following link which suggest some fixes for all devices, but it was not specific for TiVo: Netflix Error tvq-pm-100 (5.6.1) That KB suggests that the app data (cache) needs to be cleared in order to fix the issue. I would think that unplugging the TiVos would do this.

Is anyone else having this issue, or has had it in the past? Any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The obvious thing to try is also the most brutal, a Clear & Delete Everything reset of the DVR. More of a "last straw" item, since it would snuff all recordings and settings.

(Copy-able recordings can be transferred to the other DVR prior, and OnePasses and some other settings can be backed-up and restored using KMTTG.)

3. ando1

ando1 New Member

Mar 17, 2009

Thanks> I did try that on one of the Bolts a few weeks ago but it did not help.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. tommiet

tommiet Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I'm assuming you have a router.... Take your Bolt and connect it directly into your router. Unplug everything else. You should only have 2 connections. One to your Bolt and the other to your modem. Power off, back on the router. Wait about 1 min. Restart the Bolt. Test. If it works OK, start plugging in other stuff and find your network hog.

If none of this works... you can try resetting your router to default and test. Also make sure your firmware is up to date on your router and your Bolt.

Good luck.

John Shinall likes this.
  5. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014

Advertisements

Netflix has sign out of all devices, though I guess you already tried that. Maybe using a new Netflix account or borrowed one might clear the cache.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would start by rebooting everything on the network, including all network devices, at the same time. At least you would know everything is starting from a clean slate, but may very well fix your problem.

This would be easier than the above suggestion, but I agree with that approach as a second step.

7. Willy92

Willy92 Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Los Angeles
    When that was happening, I would just switch over to my Roku, which worked perfectly. I always knew it was something to do with the Bolt. But, after reading this forum, someone here was using a laptop cooler, and, I must say, since I've using one(for about 3 weeks, now) I haven't had a single problem with that or anything(I would have to re-start it every so often)...I'm just sayin"...there's been a lot of talk about these units runnin' too hot.

8. mgmcotton

mgmcotton New Member

Apr 16, 2003

9. mgmcotton

mgmcotton New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    I was getting 5.2.12 error and used my iPhone app to speak with Netflix. Here is what we did to clear up the error:
    1) Unplug the unit for 2 minutes or more. Time with your phone’s clock app to make sure you are at least 2 minutes. Replug the unit back in and let the unit to reboot and the apps to reload. This takes longer than the usual restart.
    This cleared up the error for jut a little bit.

2) If this does not work, replace your HDMI cable.
    I ordered the IBRA 4K cable from Amazon. So far, this has cleared up the issue on my bolt and we have noticed the unit’s screens reaction time are much faster. Now we are getting the issue on our older unit so I ordered a new cable for it.

It seems these issues are caused by an issue with HDMI communications.

I have my Tivo passing through my Anthem receiver to my Sony TV. I didn’t have to replace the cable from the receiver to the TV. It seems the Tivo has become more picky with the communication via HDMI cable.

10. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Same problem here. Netflix and Amazon not streaming on my Bolt. Funny thing is I have a second Bolt in another room. That one is working fine with Amazon and Netflix. I also have a Roamio still working and it works fine too. My problem seems intermittent as it works some of the time and some of the time it does not. Very weird.

11. Gerhard

Gerhard Member

Sep 29, 2002
    I have the same issue...

Netflix and Amazon won't work on my Bolt connected wirelessly.

However, the Netflix troubleshooter says I've got 40Mbit throughput to the Bolt.

My Bolt and Romeo in the other rooms work just fine.

What the heck?

12. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    For the record.

For the past four or five weeks I had a problem streaming from Netflix or Amazon Prime Video on my new Bolt. No error message other than generic “No can do. Try again later” type message.

Weird thing was that I have a second Bolt on the same MOCA network and all is well there. Plus my old Roamios had no problem streaming either.

As far as I could see my network had plenty of bandwidth.

I finally called TIVO support. Here’s what they asked me to do:

1) Go to User Preferences/Add and Manage Apps. Check Netflix and Prime Video in the list. (In my case, they were not checked before). TivoAA  screen 20190717_082737.jpg

2) Go to User Preferences/Network Settings/Tivo Service Connection.

3) Run Tivo Service Connection. This takes a long time to run. (in my case around 20 to 25 min) You can watch TV while it runs. Run it to 100% completion. It should say “succeeded” after it finishes.

4) Run Tivo Service Connection a second time. I have no idea why it takes two runs but that’s what TIVO said to do. Run it to 100% until is says “succeeded.”

5) Unplug the power to your Bolt. Wait at least 15 seconds. Plug the power back. The unit should boot. Once it is done booting, try Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. If they do not work, wait. It may take some time before they do. In my case, things were not right immediately, and I had to leave. I came back in two hours and all was well.

TIVO said the key thing is checking Netflix and Prime Video in the manage apps and THEN doing the service connection to update the settings.

13. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    I was having the same issue. My Netflix and Amazon Prime were already checked.

I followed the instructions to the letter, minus the check boxes, and it worked for me as well.

14. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I think the OP's Apps weren't installed...did your Service Connection(s) take a long time, too?

-KP

15. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    Less than a minute both times. But it just connected a couple hours earlier.

16. mgmcotton

mgmcotton New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    I tried three suggestions that I found on this site and other places.
    1) Reset the Tivo cache
    Press the Tivo button to Home screen>Thumbs down>Thumbs up>Play>Play>Play. Screen will go black for about 10 seconds. Box will then reset the cache.

2) Unplug the box for at least 3 minutes and replug. Let the box reboot and give it time to load all the apps. Unplugging the box for 3 minutes will alllow the box and all the app to shut down and need to be reloaded.

3) Connect to service 2 times. Afterwards, unplug box for 15-30 seconds.

Hopefully, we will see how long this helps. This is not a Tivo box only problems. So many different devices, including Fire Sticks, and smart TV's are having this problem. Have not seen it on AppleTv though.

Let's see how many people this helps. If not, it a clear all programming then reset Tivo but I think this is a Netflix issue.

17. cbessant

cbessant New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    This is a "new" Roamio and Mini installation. I didn't need Bolt as I'm doing OTA, HULU and Amazon Prime Video. Using Amazon Prime Video today, once the video started the remote control wouldn't work (Play, Pause, TiVo button). 7 days ago I watched a video on Amazon, no problems.

I called Amazon and suggested I purge the cache; powered off the Roamio and Mini, waited a few minutes then restarted both. Amazon Video is working fine with the remote.

What I find odd is having to reboot/clear the cache after only one week of very light usage. I'm not new to TiVo, been using it for years with DirecTV (yeah, I know it is 7 years old...), and now I'm ready to ditch DTV and move streaming and OTA. Anyone else experience this type of behavior? Did I make a mistake taking this platform delivery leap?

18. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    Just went through this for a second time. Every day lately I have been having the same issue with both Amazon and Netflix. Maybe this time it will stick.

19. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    Nope didn't last the night.

20. mgmcotton

mgmcotton New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    If you Google the error message you will see this happens across multiple platforms. The problem is that when it first starts and you follow the instructions, it reoccurs. I think this is a Netflix problem that might not be corrected anytime soon.