Unable to Order HD Movies

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dasexton, Jan 14, 2007.

1. dasexton

dasexton New Member

Oct 6, 2005

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and knows the resolution for it, since DTV hasn't been able to fix it for me. I can watch and record HD OTA broadcasts and HD channel offerings with no problem. However, whenever I select a pay-per-view HD movie, I have no option to record it, just to view the schedule for future broadcasts. I also get a message saying to call customer service at extension 741. I have talked to DTV several times and gotten a different story each time. The last time I was told it has been escalated, it will be fixed, but they will not tell me when it has been fixed. I will just have to keep trying to order an HD movie until it works.

I have been placed on hold numerous times by first levels, I have been disconnected several times by first levels, and I have had a first level argue with me when I asked to speak to Retention for this issue, even though it had already been reported and unsuccessfully dealt with several times. Retention has also given me a different version of what the problem is each time I have spoken with them. I have an unhacked HR10-250 with 6.3b software.

Thanks,

David

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It has been reported here several times that HD PPV only works if you order it within a couple of hours of the showing. Kinda defeats the purpose of a DVR doesn't it? If you order the PPV on the website, it should work.

3. dasexton

dasexton New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    I am unable to even select an HD PPV movie that is in progress. The HD movies on channel 99 don't show up at the web site. I guess there is something wrong with my account.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Have you tried a reboot? Then followed by forcing a call? This may straighten out whatever data indexing problem is in your system.

5. Onazuka

Onazuka New Member

Sep 22, 2001
    Maryland

Advertisements

Are you sure that you are connected all the time to the phone line ? You're not using Vonage, are you ?

6. beartrap

beartrap Member

Nov 8, 2005
    In my recent experience, here is the best way to bypass first level and get straight to retention: at the voice prompts, when it asks you what you want to do, say "cancel." It works every time for me.

7. Philg5150

Philg5150 New Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Chicago, IL USA
    OK, my online guide and TIVO guide are the same. I get the ext 741 also so I decided no big deal, I'll order online but then there is no way to record the purchase. I guess I could go set a manual recording. Ideas, thoughts.....

Thanks

8. Herb S.

Herb S. New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    An outside possibilty; check your purchase limits, if set to zero the box will not let you purchase.

9. gimletmaker

gimletmaker New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    This happened to me about a week or so ago. I never do PPVs, but I decided to give MI3 on Ch. 99 a try to evaluate the PQ. I went into the guide to try and order, but no option existed. I figured it was just a glitch, so I went online and ordered it. I figured that maybe the guide would now allow me to setup the recording. Nope. My only choice was to browse future showings (or order SD showings).

Called DTV and they had me reboot, etc, etc. Still no go. They escalated to the level 2 support and she could not fix it as well. She put me hold, then came back and said it had to be an issue with programming. She apologized and said she would credit my account, and that the issue would be resolved by the programming folks in approx. 24 hrs (too late to see MI3!)

Next I go to check my account and sure enough, she credited me $4.99....but....oh no...she also charged me another $4.99!! So I waited about an hour and figured maybe the additional charge would clear on it's own. Next, I just happened to check my guide again and select record on MI3, and low and behold it says that "I have already ordered MI3, would I like to record it"! Yea.

So.....they can fix the issue somehow. I have no idea what they did, but I was glad I could see MI3.

BTW, decent movie, but mediocre PQ.

10. dasexton

dasexton New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Thanks to all who replied. As of today, the problem still exists. They are sending me a new access card to see if that will fix it. They offered to replace the receiver, but I told them I have a good HR10 and don't want to replace it with an HR20, but if they would send the HR20 for free I would take them up on it. They will reduce the fee from $299 to $99 but would go no lower. I reminded them I am a 10-year customer signed up for premium sports programming every year, but they still would not budge. At least I made them put in my record that I can get the HR20 for $99 and not have to send them back my HR10.

Still can't order the movies, though. I only tried to do this for the first time a few days ago so I don't know if the problem has always been there or not. They said I have a $200 limit on ordering movies, with no balance on the account, so they don't know what the problem is. I will send an update if/when they resolve this in case anyone else becomes affected by it.

David

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    PQ wasn't all that great on DVD, either.

12. cover

cover New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I have the same issue. I first noticed it a few weeks ago, but just got around to calling about it today. I got a polite but fairly clueless level 1 rep. She had me power off and the HR 10-250, but (big surprise) this did not help. She also said she was resending programming information, but was not specific. I'm guessing she sent something in the stream to reprogram, but nothing changed. I would like to be able to order and record HD PPV, but it seems like I'm out of luck for now. She said she would escalate it and someone would get back to me within 1-2 days.

FWIW, my account is in good standing and my SD Tivo will order PPV just fine. I've replaced the hard drives in both boxes with larger drives, but they are otherwise unhacked.

Has anyone gotten a real solution to this?

Thanks

13. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    As far as I can tell, everybody gets a 741 error. I'm guessing it's a data problem on their end.

Kinda goofy to have an MPEG-2 HD PPV when those with said equipment can't purchase it.

14. bqb

bqb New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I noticed this problem with 6.3a and it went away with 6.3b. I replaced the drive with one from weaknees that came with 6.3a loaded, and the problem returned. My unit never upgraded to 6.3b again, but this issue seems to be a 6.3a issue (for me).

15. osultan

osultan New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I have been having problems with PPV too. Even using the website to order has not helped, which them leaves me having to call a CSR to get the problem fixed. :thumbsdown:

16. johnkap

johnkap New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    I had the same problem and was able to record HD PPV manually. Once you order the movie online, you need to go into the Record Manually menu and set the channel and time of the show to be recorded. This was the only way I could record an HD PPV movie on ch. 99.

17. cover

cover New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, it is good to know that ordering on the web site and setting a manual recording will work. But that's not exactly the ease-of-use one would hope for.

I'm on version 6.3b of the software. I'm not sure when the problem started.

I did find an encouraging post on another board where the customer had called in about it, had the call escalated with a promised call back. It wasn't clear whether he got a call back, but the problem went away. I guess I'll give it a day or two and see if they fix it.

If anyone at DirecTV is reading this, you are losing some PPV revenue by not dealing with this issue.

18. bqb

bqb New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I finally got 6.3c this evening. As with the 6.3a to 6.3b on this same HR10 (previous disc, see my previous post), the 6.3a to 6.3c update fixed HD PPV. Try again after you received the update.

19. jgriffin7

jgriffin7 New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    6.3c did not fix my PPVH problem. Still can't order from guide. Ordered movie via D* web site and was then able to schedule recording. However, recording started late and finished early. Called D* customer support and she agreed they were still having problems and credited my account.

20. willie_tee

willie_tee New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Same exact problem here...on one of two HR10-250's. I called D* CSRs on 2 occasions to resolve the problem. On the 1st call, nothing they tried worked. On the 2nd call, nothing they tried worked but, when I mentionned the phrase "audio dropouts", they immediately credited me with 3 months free Showtime. Sheesh. Oddly and irritatingly enough, the one HR10-250 that encountered the problem is connected to the phone and my surround sound system; the other HR10-250 that I could order HD-PPV on is not connected to the phone and I've never ordered PPV from. Both are 6.3a.