Unable to get HD Photos working with Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by paulgar342, Jun 22, 2007.

1. paulgar342

paulgar342 New Member

Aug 23, 2005

Advertisements

I've been trying to get HD Photos working with my Series 3 and not having any luck. Everything installs and starts without error, but I never see the additional icon for HD photos on my Series 3. Standard def photos and music work fine.

After much searching around on the internet, this forum and others, it is clear there is some kind or problem that keeps the software from working correctly for some people. Some report it started to work after multiple uninstall/install cycles, while others have never gotten it to work.

I have jre1.6.0_01, and Tivo Desktop signs on as version 2.4a (265782).

I have uninstalled both the Java runtime and Tivo Desktop multiple times.
    I have restarted the Tivo Series 3.
    I have disabled all firewall and virus software both before and after installation attempts.
    I have turned on the Java console, hoping to find some kind of error message.
    All I see when the Tivo Desktop starts is:
    LOG: HDPhotos.init()
    LOG: HD Photos Version: 1.7a1

The Tivo website documentation for HD Photos 2.0 states that a "plus key" is required. This does not seem correct, since most of the features enabled by the plus key are not supported on the Series 3 and not many Series 3 owners would want to pay extra for features they can't use. Can anyone confirm that a plus key is NOT required for HD Photos to work on the Series 3?

The Tivo website documentation for HD Photos 2.0 also says that there will be some kind of "java loading" message each time the desktop starts. I saw a download dialog only the first time I checked the box to enable Photos 2.0 in the Tivo Server Properties. After that, all I see when Tivo Desktop starts is the splash screen. Is there something else I should see?

Any tips, troubleshooting ideas, or suggestions on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

2. YupYup

YupYup Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I do not have the "plus key" and HD Photos do work. I remember it didn't work for me until I updated the Java stuff, and I think I only saw that "java loading" message the first time I started TiVo Desktop after updating Java. Have you rebooted your PC? I think the photo capability is in the TiVo server running in the background on the PC, so it needs to be restarted to pickup the latest Java stuff. You may want to visit the Java site again, and click the link that will verify your Java instalation to make sure you have the latest and greatest.

3. Anchorman

Anchorman Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Michigan
    I can also verify that HD photos works without desktop plus. I also had trouble getting it to work initially.

You seem to be doing everything correctly, so I hate to ask this, but did you go into Tivo Server Properties and check the box for "Preview Photos 2.0 (with HD support) for Series 3 HD DVRs"?

4. paulgar342

paulgar342 New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Yes, I checked the box in server properties and have restarted the PC numerous times. I also went to the Sun site to verify my Java install.

5. Anchorman

Anchorman Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Michigan

Advertisements

In the readme.txt file that comes with Tivo desktop there are a few tips. One of them states:

"If your computer has more than one network connection, the new Photos viewer may not find the appropriate connection. The viewer supports two IP addresses; a link local address in the 169.254 range (in case DHCP fails to provide an IP address);and one of any other type."

Try disabling any other network connections. IIRC this is what got it working for me.

6. tannebil

tannebil Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Are you installed in C:\Program Files or D:\Program Files? I'm on D: and Photos 2.0 errors out when Tivo Server starts. I have to go to a command line and run launch.cmd from the HME directory to get it to run.

7. paulgar342

paulgar342 New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    The machine has only one network interface, so that was not the issue. And it only has one hard drive, C:.

I finally got it working on a different computer. I found a web site about Galleon, another HME application, and in the FAQ saw lots of similar sounding problems with getting things to work. In the Galleon FAQ, I learned that HME apps rely on a protocol called multicast DNS (also known as rendevouz). Not all network equipment supports this protocol. As it happens, my Tivo is connected via wired ethernet to a wireless bridge, which in turn connects to a wireless access point, which in turn is connected to a broadband router. I could not determine if all of these devices support the rendevouz protocol.

However, I installed Tivo Desktop on another computer connected to the same bridge as Tivo and HD Photos worked the first time.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's more likely your PC and TiVo weren't on the same subnet. The bridge doesn't have to "support" rendevous. But if your PC and TiVo were on different subnets they will not see each other.

9. paulgar342

paulgar342 New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    All of my machines are on the same subnet.

I tried an experiment just to be sure it was the network equipment. Using a network cable, I simply unplugged the first PC (the one that would not run HD Photos) and connected it to the same wireless bridge as Tivo and the other PC. Without rebooting or even restarting the Tivo Desktop, the Tivo S3 now sees HD photos for both PC's.

Paul

10. Darthnice

Darthnice umop ap!sdn

Apr 29, 2002
    Paul,

Does that mean you got it working?

I can't get HD photos working either, and I wonder if it is the number of 'things' between my PC and my TiVo3. They are both on the same subnet but my network looks like this:

PC<--->switch<--->switch<--->switch<--->TiVo

(the middle switch is actually a switching router)

I can get to regular photos / music from my PC, but the HD version never worked. My PC and TiVo are on different floors so it is a little difficult to connect them directly.

11. paulgar342

paulgar342 New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Darthnice,

I only got it working from the PC on the same ethernet bridge at Tivo - essentially on the same switch (built into the wireless bridge). Below is a diagram of my network connections. HD Photos only works from Computer-B.

As an experiment, it also worked from Computer-A when I temporarily moved Computer-A to the same wireless bridge as B.

All of this is on the same subnet. Normal file sharing works fine on the whole network, so I can just host the photos from Computer-B.

[router] <<---cable internet
    | |
    | |_____________[wireless access point]
    |
    |
    |__[Computer-A]

^^^
    Den
    ==========================================================
    Family room
    vvv

[wireless bridge]
    | |
    | |
    | |__[Tivo S3]
    |
    |
    |__[computer-B]

The standard Tivo desktop features work fine from either computer. The Tivo desktop features also play nicely with typical firewalls and network hardware.

Why HD Photos and the HME interface need to be so complicated is a mystery to me. If you search around, you find lots of people having network troubles with both.

Paul