Unable to download unbox movie

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gregbott, Aug 15, 2007.

1. gregbott

gregbott New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    4 days ago I purchased 5 movies from Amazon Unbox. Tivo attempted to download them dozens of times and repeatedly failed with the same message..."The program was not downloaded onto this DVR because someone in your household canceled the transfer." There are approximately 60 such messages.

After 5 calls to Unbox and 4 different explanations of why it wouldn't download and still no success, I reluctantly had to ask for my money back. Has anyone seen this message and resolved the problem.

The most recent technician suggested that I delete most of my Season passes b/c TiVo allocates space for the season passes. That didn't seem to be a reasonable or rational suggestion--there is at least 20 hours of free space on the TiVo. Anyway, I love the idea of Unbox, but it was very disappointing.

If anyone has a solution or suggestion, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

2. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Do you have enough free space on your HD to allow the downloads to fit?

3. amarks2

amarks2 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I have a very similar problem to others' in this post, and if I am being redundant please excuse the error. I am trying to download (unbox) a movie from Amazon, and after deleting all of my tivo recordings, am still being told there is not enough space. I don't want to do anything to rash like typing code into my tivo, but would like to know if I am doing anything wrong, or is there something simple I can do to rectify this issue. Please help! Many thanks - ps, I am pretty technologically challenged, so if you have instructions please make them as simple as possible.

Thanks,

Aaron

:confused:

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    try permanently deleting things from your recently deleted folder.
    I've read here of the possibility that when a tivo communicates with unbox to allocate space it may be including the space left by deleted items that are still actually available via the RD folder as unavailable.

What I read was posted many months ago and I haven't heard it repeated since, but it doesn't hurt to try it out. If it is the problem we need to get the solution out there.

5. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I don't buy the season pass the OP talked about earlier either...AFAIK TiVo doesn't have "dedicated space", it only indexes a show for later recording.

As Mick suggested, you could try permanently deleting the recordings in the Recently Deleted folder, but again, those are indexed for removal and are overwritten as soon as any new recording space (such as Unbox) is required.

If you've deleted recordings you don't need and it appears that there's enough space on your hard drive to accept an Unbox program, I'd do a hard reboot of TiVo (unplug it, wait 10 or 15 seconds and plug it back in) to ensure all of the communications to/from Unbox are clean.

The other tact I would take is to buy/download a different movie (or just one at a time if you’re ordering multiple movies). It's possible one of them has an issue...nothing to do with your TiVo or your account.

Let us know how it goes.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I often get "the download rate is too slow" message for my unbox.
    This also happens with TivoCast.
    I can reboot the Tivo and gain functionality, but after a few downloads, it goes back to "the download rate is too slow". :(

I don't want to blame Tivo for this, but it just seems a coindedence that this started happening to me around the time Tivo added these new TivoCasts.

7. amarks2

amarks2 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Everybody,

Unfortunately I am out of town and have not been able to implement the various helpful tips, but thanks everyone for your help! I will let you know when I get back and try these out...

Thanks again,

Aaron

8. dittman

dittman New Member

May 12, 2007
    I decided to try Amazon Unbox Tuesday to download the free NBC pilots. The downloads all failed (with several retries) with "the download rate is too slow" message. I tried a reboot but that didn't help. I have my TiVo (series 2) connected with a USB Ethernet adapter and my Internet connection is running just fine (15/2 and the tests don't show any issues).

I notice that browsing the downloads on the TiVo is incredibly slow (a couple of minutes to change screens).

9. natkins

natkins New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Aloha, OR
    I'm having hit & miss problems with the free downloads as well. Initially, I was able to download both Bionic Woman and Journeyman the first day they were offered. No problems at all.

But then last night I attempted the other two: Chuck and Life, and neither one has been successful. I don't get any error messages. I see them pop up under Now Playing, and the transfer has begun. When I go back to check on their status, both have disappeared from the NP list.

And I know it's not a space issue. I hope this is just a temporary glitch. :(

10. AlexJS

AlexJS Rank Amateur

Jan 4, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    same problems as well... repeatedly tried downloading two NBC pilots and Hot Fuzz and none have been downloaded. My box is practically empty, so it's not a space issue. :mad:

11. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...

just wanted to chime in that unbox has worked great for me, and all dl's went smoothly on both my S2 and TiVoHD. they work on my son's S3 also.

12. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Let me add that I usually just reboot the Tivo.
    Sometimes I have to reboot my DSL modem and router as well.

13. dittman

dittman New Member

May 12, 2007
    It's definitely not a problem with my Internet connection. Everything other than the TiVo has no problems with data transfer speeds. Even then, the TiVo doesn't have any problems downloading updates. I forced a connection earlier today and it loaded as fast as usual.

14. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    FWIW, downloading Amazon Unbox material isn't the same as downloading TiVo material as the data comes from different servers.

We've been getting Unbox movies for a few months now and have never had any problems. They are downloaded to our S3 which has a CAT5 wired Ethernet connection. Downloads of two of the recent NBC pilots were quick and "normal" as far as I could tell.

One question now comes to mind: is anyone with a hard wired/direct broadband connection (not wireless) having problems downloading Unbox material?

15. ttishgar

ttishgar New Member

Sep 14, 2007
    I have tried to go to the unbox service screen but it is blank. I've tried both early in the morning and late and night with no luck. Any other tips?

16. dittman

dittman New Member

May 12, 2007
    Yes. My connection is wired.

17. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    To test the system (theirs and ours) I ordered a new NBC pilot called "Journeyman" which is being offered for free from Unbox today. I had it downloaded to our S3 which has an Ethernet connection and subsequently to our DT S2 which has a TiVo USB wireless adapter. I found something interesting during the download to the S2 – the signal strength dropped appreciably for no apparent reason (see “NOTE” below). Here are the details:

S3 Download (Ethernet connection)

• Order placed: 7:00 a.m.
    • Download start: 7:22 a.m.
    • Download completed: 7:44 a.m. (Total download time = 22 minutes)
    • Program length: 42 minutes (checked ending and the time is correct)
    • File size: 1GB​

DT S2 Download (Wireless connection)

• Order placed: 8:08 a.m.
    • Download start: 8:12 a.m.
    • Download completed: 8:35 a.m. (Total download time = 23 minutes)
    • Program length: 42 minutes
    • File size: .89GB

Broadband Equipment:

• D-Link DIR-625 Rangebooster N Router
    • "Normal" Comcast cable broadband ​
    I was using the Internet periodically (but not downloading any files other than normal e-mail connections @ five minute intervals). There was an SD television program being recorded at the same time on both the S3 and S2. The Unbox program appears to have downloaded to the S3's "A" HDD as the eSATA drive was inactive throughout.

I found it interesting that both “hard wired” and wireless downloads took about the same amount of time. I took a quick look at the program and the PQ looks quite good on our 42” HD LCD TV as well as our 22" CRT TV.

NOTE: While downloading to the S2 I kept an eye on the signal strength listed on TiVo’s network settings screen. We live in a three story house (two stories w/basement) with the network router on the top floor. The S2 with the TiVo wireless adapter is in our basement at the opposite end of the house from the router. Normally the signal strength is around 62% - sometimes as high as 70%, sometimes as low as 56%. I noted during the Unbox download that the signal strength ran between 45% and 50%, dropping as low as 37% at times...considerably lower than “normal”. When the download was completed the signal strength returned to 64%. This may or may not be a very important factor but it’s quite intriguing. Is it possible that those with marginal signal strength lose it all together during an Unbox download?

I'd be interested in hearing some stats on a good (or failed) download over wireless with specs (TiVo or other USB adapters, interrupt times, etc.) and in particular if your signal strength changes during the download. I’ve no idea why that would happen but found that very curious.

I'm just wondering if the download problems boil down to issues with wireless connections losing packets and ultimately failing, caps or throttle backs on broadband use (Comcast has begun capping some "heavy users"), bad communications to/from Amazon or something else entirely.

Hope this little experiment helps!

18. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Oh sure...blow my theory out of the water! ;) But maybe not...perhaps it still has something to do with the delivery method and receiving equipment.

It'll be good to hear some feedback from others too. :up:

19. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Me chiming back in.

I have a 540 S2, and use a wired network using a Linksys usbm100 ver.1 adapter and BEFSR41 ver. 2.1 router with a Zyxel DSL modem.

As far as I can tell, the only problems I have with Tivo networking, are the video downloads (Unbox and TivoCast).

Other internet networking functions such as playing the games or streaming Live365 work okay.
    I also just tried a Swivel Search which seemed to go okay.

I went all this week without getting a single TivoCast.
    This morning I rebooted everything. Went into TivoCast and requested several downloads.
    When I got home, only 4 downloaded, and now my TivoCast interface is back to its usual slow self. I count 19 seconds between key press and UI response.
    Last weekend I had to reboot everything to get my Unbox downloads.

I've had this problem before when TivoCast was introduced and one day it went away...and came back recently when the latest TivoCasts were added.

20. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    My computer locked up and I had to pull the plug and reboot, which also rebooted DSL modem and router.
    Now I have video download functionality again and I did not have to reboot the Tivo.
    That seems to rule out the Tivo as having a problem, which leaves me out of ideas.

Even though I shouldn't have to, I guess I can just reboot whenever I want an Unbox video or a Tivocast.

Afterthought: Could it be my ISP doing something that limits my downloads and is reset when I reboot?