unable to connect using wireless N02

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by replaytv, Jan 20, 2012.

1. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I bought a used TiVo Series2 TDC540040 (40 GB) Receiver with lifetime ( I called into Tivo and they told me it has lifetime.) I don't have a phone line anymore, so I tried to connect it to my wireless network. I have currently 3 Tivos connected and have never had a problem with the network.
    When I received the Tivo it was in the set up mode. It was asking the zip code and all of that. I gave it my wireless network password and it always comes back with error N-O2. I used all the default setting when setting up the wireless. So then I thought 'I will try something else' and set it up for the Tivo to give the IP address and it seemed to accept that. But when I tried to connect to Tivo it said 'No DHCP server'. I used known good wireless Tivo adapters and used different ones, and moved the Tivo to right next to the wireless transmitter when it wouldn't work right. I guess I could take it to a friends house and try their phone line or change out the hard drive. Any other options?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should try setting your router IP (192.168.1.1 usually) as the gateway and DNS server IPs on the Tivo. Always works for me.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I'd try using a USB to ethernet adapter, connecting directly to the router, and setting the Tivo for a fixed IP address. I have an S3HD that refuses to do DHCP on my network but works perfectly with a fixed IP address.

4. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I found a USB to Ethernet adapter when looking for something else (isn't that the way it always is?) and Tivo connected right up to the Ethernet via my router. Thanks for the suggestion lillevig! It is also working fine connected to Apex converter box using IR cables. I tried a DTVpal to start with, but Tivo no longer supports that box. The Tivo tech said that they found that they had trouble with it. I told them I had used those before without any problem. He did give me some IR codes to try, but they didn't work, so I used the Apex. He said to use 10001 and 100011. It is weird that to get into the manual mode of entering IR codes you have to tell the Tivo that you are using the same box, THEN you go into advanced menu to put in the IR codes manually. That is the first time the menu on the Tivo didn't seem to make sense!
    I don't really know how to " try setting your router IP (192.168.1.1 usually) as the gateway and DNS server IPs on the Tivo" as suggested, so didn't try that, but will keep that in mind if I run into the same problem. I could use to learn more about ip stuff.

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you don't know what your router base address is then you can find out what one of your other Tivos is using for an IP address and set your new Tivo to something similar. In other words, if another Tivo shows that is is using IP address 192.168.1.119, then you can set the new Tivo to use address 192.168.1.xx, where xx is an unused address. I typically pick a range in the 60's and 70's for my fixed IP address devices (e.g.: 192.168.1.62). Typical router base addresses are 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1. Note the it is the next to last digit that is different and your Tivo must have the same address except for the digits on the end. The subnet will be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway will be the same as the base address for the router.

6. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Ok, I will try that. I have the Tivo sitting here right now, but will have to connect it again after I get finished working on another Tivo with rebooting problems. I will be posting that problem next.