UltimateTV replacement

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SFOak, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 13
    SFOak

SFOak New Member

Nov 24, 2006
    While I dearly love my UltimateTV unit. Long ago I upgraded the hard drive and have enjoyed using it far more than my RCA DirecTV Tivo unit. However after crashing twice within the past year and now having it caught in a reboot-loop, I've decided that I need to face the music and move on. To that end, I'm looking at a refurbished DirectTV Tivo unit from Weeknees, They have 3 models available that I can either choose from or have them choose for me. The choices are the Philips DSR70X, Hughes HSVR2 or the Hughes SD-DVR. Which ever one I get, I will have a large capacity drive installed. Are these 3 pretty much the same or is there one I should specify or one I should avoid? Thanks

2. Sep 7, 2007 #2 of 13
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    There are basically two flavors of series 2 DirecTivos. The original series 2 models are known as non-RID units. The later version included an RID number on the back label. The RID (i.e. Receiver ID) number is just another layer of security added by DirecTV on all late model receivers and DVRs. Both DTivo versions use the exact same software and have identical features. Aside from the RID vs. non-RID differentiation, all models of the same flavor are identical except for the faceplate.

You'll find a much better deal by getting a used DTivo on ebay than getting one from Weaknees. His markup is absolutely ridiculous IMHO.

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 13
    rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Either the Philips DSR704/708 or the Hughes SD-DVR40/80/120or the RCA DVR40/80. All are RID units, Buy the broken ones available on EBay for $.99 cents. Go to www.dvrupgrade.com and buy Instantcake for $19.99 Best place to buy drive www.zipzoomfly.com or www.newegg.com. newegg has 500gb Maxtor for $99.99
    Good luck :)

4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 13
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you decide to go the eBay route make sure the unit is free of any DirecTV obligations. Get its serial number and RID so you can check its status with DirecTV.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #5 of 13
    RBA

RBA Tivo Forum King

Jul 15, 2001
    El Paso, TX
    Call retention. See if they will swap it out for a HR20-700 for free.

6. Sep 8, 2007 #6 of 13
    bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    As long as you can stomach the new two year commitment.

7. Sep 8, 2007 #7 of 13
    bengalfreak

Oct 20, 2002
    There are currently a couple of Ultimate TV receivers on eBay for sale. This one for instance.

Look Here

8. Sep 8, 2007 #8 of 13
    rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Is Microsoft still supporting Ultimate TV or are you trying to sell the last of the EDSEL's. At least with Tivo we have continued support through DVRupgrade.

9. Sep 9, 2007 #9 of 13
    jessemerz

jessemerz New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    YES - UltimateTV is still supported by D*. In fact, for the first time in four years, we JUST got a software update (Sept, 2007). We've have UTV for five+ years and our THREE units are sailing. :)

-Jesse

10. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    Ive got a Ultimate TV unit which was my first love for sell.

Pay for the shipping and let me keep the hardrive or ship me one of equal size for use in a computer and ive got one in the closet for yha ive been trying to get rid of for awhile.

Ive even got the keyboard for it.

11. bengalfreak

Oct 20, 2002

There's an offer that's tough to pass up.

12. FlWingNut

FlWingNut New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Lake Mary, FL
    I've got a UTV unit boxed in my attic. It still works fine, I was just tired of the separate 9.95 monthly fee. If my DVR fee that I'm already paying for my two D*Tivos and my R15 would also cover the UTV box, I'd hook it up in a flash.

THAT was a DVR!

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Depends what your intentions are.
    For all intents and purposes, non RID and RID DVRs are the same, although RID models may be easier to activate on a DirecTV account.

In my eye, there are two different sorts of S2 DirecTV TiVos, the unhackable (without PROM mod) R10, and everything else.