uk software version problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by ifekas, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ifekas

ifekas New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Leicester
    About a year ago, I attempted to do a hard drive plus TiVoweb upgrade from 120GB to a 250GB drive, but it failed because the source image was version 2.5.5a, and mine was 2.5.5. Anyway, at the time I dropped the idea and the replacement hd gathered dust.

Last month, my I got the occasional corrupt recording and thought it was a good idea to do an upgrade in case the drive was on its way out. On the 27th of July I phoned TiVo customer services to say that I had the teletext bug and needed the 2.5.5a upgrade. They said it could take up to a few days for the upgrade to come through because they had to e-mail the US.

Nothing happened for a couple of days, but then my TiVo crashed in a bad way; it would go in a loop, coming up with the GSOD followed by a reboot.

It took a couple of days before I was able to able to borrow a friend's TiVo drive to do the upgrade using steveconrad instructions, and it worked initially, but sadly I still had the original problem where TiVo constantly want to 'update' itself, and runs out of guide data. I took the drive out of the TiVo and did the 'upgrade' again, but still had no joy.

I phoned TiVo customer services, and they confirmed that I had requested the 2.5.5a software update a couple of weeks ago, and they said that under a new system, updates only take eight hours to activate (which didn't seem correct as my TiVo didn't register any change in software version a couple of days after I phoned.

Anyway, although I still have (hopefully) a working image of 2.5.5a on a spare drive, but want to know whether I need to source a 'normal' 2.5.5 software image, and get it to update itself manually?

In the meantime, I am having to make do with MythTV / Ubuntu on an old computer ;-)

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    If you have requested 2.5.5a then you should image the drive from a 2.5.5a image.

The 'let it update itself' option will only work if your drive is < 137gb.

3. ifekas

ifekas New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Leicester
    Thanks for your reply. I tried re-imaging from the backup file, but sadly this didn't work. When I try to do the nic_config_tivo, I get a segmentation fault, and can't download any data. I think the backup file may be corrupt in some way.

If anyone can help with a backup image file (either 2.5.5 or 2.5.5a), preferably with TiVoweb support, but at this stage I can do without that - please PM me.

4. ifekas

ifekas New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Leicester
    Thanks. I've done that.

5. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Or you could purchase the Hooch download from the emporium of a certain heavenly myopic citrus member of this forum at www.tivoheaven.co.uk

Costs just under £20 but everyone who has used it seems to report it goes a lot more smoothly than the normal upgrade process. It also supports 2.5.5a as I understand it.

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Who might that be then? :confused: :p