UK football starting up in HD. So what!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Ed Campbell, May 25, 2006.

1. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    We ain't getting to see it here. Today's friendly between England B and Belarus is broadcast in HiDef by Sky Digital. But, even if Rupert was prepared to offer it, stateside, where the heck would he show it?

I've had correspondance with the folks at Setanta Sports and they, too, are prepared to ramp up their satellite telecasts to offer HD stateside whenever it's made available in the UK or Europe. Aside from ESPN/ABC -- and the special [and delightful] package we're getting for the World Cup, this time round -- once the regular season is back in gear, is D* ever going to make the bandwidth available?

2. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Problem is that football is such a minority sport here. Yes, I said football (I'm a Brit living in GA) and I'd LOVE to see it here, but unless I'm prepared to pay $250 a season for SD and no choice of game, I'm out of luck.

Looking forward to seeing the World Cup though. DOes anyone know the ABC/ESPN schedule?

3. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    Oh, it's up somewhere. Oliver at soccertv.com sent a link in one of his newsletters; but, I don't have it in this computer. Try his website.

4. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Well, I don't get ABC in HD (no HD locals here), but it looks like I'll get to see two out of the three England games in glorious HD. Unfortunately, I'll have to swallow SD for the Final though.

5. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    University of Kentucky football doesn't have that many fans, anyway. ;)

6. BadlyDrawnBoy

BadlyDrawnBoy Member

Dec 24, 2001
    San Francsico
    How would Setanta broadcast it, they are in the US At least a pretty small tier channel, and at
    $11/Month don't offer a heck of a lot, I had them for the spring while liverpool were in the champs league, but I doubt that Directv would be advertising Setanta in HD as a big thing.

I'd imagine there is more chance of FSC in HD than Setanta.

7. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    There's lots of football besides the Liverpool Show in Setanta. I'm just about ready to sign off for a couple months of summer -- after watching the 3 promotion playoffs. Just a few more Friendlies that are N/A elsewhere, e.g., Czech Republic v. Costa Rica and Poland v. Columbia.

There is at least one other alternative that I've suggested -- to the alternative -- this weekend. Waiting to hear back once folks get back to work.

Even if Rupert wanted to do FSC in HD, the bandwidth would have to be available from D*. They're still mired in the roll-out of "local" HD -- which is either coast feeds of national HD -- which means we get the HD if the locals have figured it out, yet.

I'm still not confident about getting the ABC-HD coverage of the World Cup OTA, since our local ABC doesn't even make it to air with Lost in HD all the time!

8. BadlyDrawnBoy

BadlyDrawnBoy Member

Dec 24, 2001
    San Francsico
    I think GolTV is almost as good as Setanta, and it's included.
    I'm lucky here in SF, I get the locals OTA easily and I also have the waiver for the ABCW feed.

9. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    What package would that be? I looked briefly on directtv's website and couldn't find any info. TIA.

10. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
  11. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Ahh, thanks. I thought there was a package from directtv. All games in HD for free? That's pretty sweet.

Thanks for the link.

12. JoelCFC25

JoelCFC25 New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    From all the stuff I've read I would infer that the prospects for getting more European football in HD here in the US are dim for the next year or two. D* is making a huge push to offer HD locals to everyone, so most of the bandwidth will disappear to that in the near-term. Only when that rollout is complete and they start adding new national HD channels might we see some progress, and even then it's probably dubious because of the extremely small portion of the market that has interest in proper football. :(

Isn't the United Kingdom and Europe experiencing the same sort of chicken-and-egg problem with HDTV adoption that we are? Only they would be in the initial stages since my understanding is that HD is still very new to consumers over there.

13. BadlyDrawnBoy

BadlyDrawnBoy Member

Dec 24, 2001
    San Francsico
    HD is new and Sky in the UK are having trouble meeting demand for HD boxes, the cost is about £499 for the SKY HD DVR depending on contract etc.

The World Cup is really driving the demand for these through the roof. That and Plasmas and LCD's are all selling like hotcakes in prep for the WC.

Same as in the US really sports are what typically drives the early adopters.

14. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    Just another obscure update. Obscure because I'm not going to put my foot in my mouth by blabbing about who's considering this -- BUT, I do have a player with bandwidth interested enough in carrying HD EPL to put it on the table for discussion of addition to their mix for 2006-7.

Now that can mean absolutely nothing. Or we might get a wee bit lucky.

Not-so-incidentally, bouncing back to earlier comments, Setanta is getting bigger and better back in their home court. They now own the exclusive for all the SPL -- which means I still get to see Caley Thistle, once in a while. And the courts forced the FA to sell a couple smaller pieces of the EPL season so SKY couldn't have close to a virtual monopoly. Setanta outbid Sky on at least one of those pieces.

We get closer.

15. BadlyDrawnBoy

BadlyDrawnBoy Member

Dec 24, 2001
    San Francsico
    subscribes to thread and waits for ed's update..

feel free to pm if you want :)

16. BadlyDrawnBoy

BadlyDrawnBoy Member

Dec 24, 2001
    San Francsico
    FRom http://eplleague.blogspot.com/

Fox Soccer Channel Makes Changes to EPL Coverage
    If you've been reading the EPL Talk Blog the past week, you'll notice that we've been talking a lot about Fox Soccer Channel's impending coverage of the 2006/2007 Premiership season.

We can now confirm that FSC has changed their schedule regarding coverage of matches. Their typical schedule will now be:

Saturdays
    10am ET -- Live Premiership match
    12:15pm ET -- Live Premiership match
    3pm ET -- Tape delayed Premiership match

Sundays
    11am ET -- Live Premiership match

Mondays
    3pm ET -- Live Premiership match

The 10am ET match on Saturday mornings used to pay-per-view, so that's a huge bonus to be able to watch that match and have it followed by the one at Noon -- for four hours of live Premiership coverage.

Most of us know that the majority of Premiership matches are played at 10am on Saturday, so it'll be interesting to see if FSC shows the results of the matches near the end of the 10am broadcast (except, hopefully, for the 3pm tape-delayed match -- so the pleasure of watching the 3pm isn't ruined).

The other benefit is being able to see the Sunday match live at 11am ET rather than the tape delayed time of 1pm ET. Bravo to FSC!

Remember where you read it first! More details to come about the 7:45am Saturday matches, the 8:30am Sunday matches and the midweek games.

Setanta Adds EPL Matches to 2006/2007 Schedule
    While Setanta has been making plenty of waves recently after acquiring two of the rights packages to show Premiership matches in the UK starting in the 2007/2008 season, now it's turn for the US branch of Setanta Sports to make headlines.

EPL Talk reader Rob Halton forwarded the following news from SoccerTV.com: When the 2006/2007 English Premier League begins August 19th, Setanta Sports will be showing selected EPL matches. The Irish broadcaster has sublicensed the Premiership matches that would have typically been shown as pay-per-view matches from Fox Soccer Channel. Setanta Sports USA is available via DirecTV for a monthly subscription fee of $11.99/month.

For Setanta, this is a perfect way to get new subscribers and to introduce the soccer network to new viewers in North America.

One advantage of watching matches on Setanta is that they typically broadcast the direct feed from Sky, thereby allowing viewers to see Sky's half-time analysis.