UK accents: Are the just more of them?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dtle, Mar 31, 2020 at 6:15 PM.

1. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    I've been binging on many shows lately (haven't we all?), and while watching some UK ones, I noticed that seems to be many different accents (though I can't begin to say which is which).

Is it true that since the UK have all the different accents of English, Irish, and Scottish, there is so many different ones than in America?

Or is it just me being an American, and don't know noticed all the different American accents, because I've been hearing them all my life?

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The latter?

We definitely have a lot of accents! I suspect there are as many Southern accents here as total accents in England...

3. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    "The British Isles is made up many, many different accents and dialects – more than 37 dialects at the last count."
    versus
    ~20 regional accents in the USA
    (based on slapdash google search)

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    37 seems to be underselling it. In the UK the accents are so different for places so close. Liverpool and Manchester are about 20 miles apart but have totally different accents.

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think there are more accents than just the regional once in the USA. For example people in NY sound different from people from NJ. Not to mention, there's foreign accents as well. PA sounds different as well. If you have your ear tuned to accents you can tell the difference

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  6. pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Know the Difference Between a Brooklyn Accent and a Bronx Accent? Here’s a Tutorial by Jennifer Lopez and Leah Remini | TVWeek

Sometimes when Peter Calpadi was playing Doctor Who he would deliberately replace his generic Scottish accent with a specificly Glaswegian one, turned in audience members could infer a shift in tone of character.

I have always assumed when an actor who is not necessarily from the Bronx emphasizes a Bronx accent I can infer something about the character they are playing.

7. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I recall reading an article years ago that discussed how in England many of the accents are tied to class in a way that they aren't here in the US.

kaszeta likes this.
  8. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    gweempose likes this.
  9. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL