Ugly Betty - 02/01/2007 - "I'm Coming Out"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by drew2k, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1 of 12
    drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

What a great episode!

Jason/Justin was having a ball, Hildi may have found her calling, Alexis "came out", Bradford was arrested, and Ignazio has a girlfriend.

Great lines:

"This no surgery ... this duck sauce."

"I'm a few years away from having a duck quack off in my face"
    "Whatever you say, Wrinklemina"

:)

2. Feb 1, 2007 #2 of 12
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Can they say that in the family hour? :D :eek:

What a show! Everyone was in top form. Justin needs more air time. Marc & Amanda were so full of themselves, my widescreen can barely hold 'em!

Speaking of which, if you look at Vanessa Williams in an HD close-up (any HD close-up), it appears the years have not been kind to her. Reality, or show intentional?

"She looks like a mailbox."

3. Feb 2, 2007 #3 of 12
    angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    GREAT hour last night!!! I love Justin. My husband can't stand him. He's too cute!
    Can't wait for next week!

4. Feb 2, 2007 #4 of 12
    cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Reality.

She's gone on record saying that she hates HD because of all the flaws it shows.

Last night was a GREAT hour! I laughed more at this than I did at Office/Earl/30 Rock combined!

5. Feb 2, 2007 #5 of 12
    PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

Advertisements

There were so many terrific throwaway lines in this episode. The only thing I didn't like is how Gina Gershon changed her character. IIRC she didn't speak English at all last time and her lips were huge. I kind of missed how over the top the character was before. She seemed almost tame in comparison. She did have some great lines this week...

"I love your assistant, I have one just like it in beige"

Justin was priceless this week. I loved him as Wilhemina's 2nd Seeing Eye Gay, and the fact that he was better at it than Marc.

Marc trying to act straight, Daniel's reaction to Alexis... There was just too much good stuff this week.

6. Feb 5, 2007 #6 of 12
    marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Bradford arrested? Hmmm, I wonder if I saw the whole episode...

-Mike

7. Feb 5, 2007 #7 of 12
    drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It was at the very end of the episode, when Alexis took the microphone from him and revealed her identity. The cops then came on stage and put handcuffs on Bradford.

8. Feb 5, 2007 #8 of 12
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    So... who played "alexis" prior to the last couple of episodes? Because it was clearly someone old and craggily and not a supermodel.

Hopefully I didn't defend old and craggily people there.

9. Feb 7, 2007 #9 of 12
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    No, but you did offend me :D :D

10. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Was a reason given why Pepper Dennis...errrr...Alex....errr Alexis did all this? Again, I think I missed part of this!

(and I'm glad Rebecca Romajin got another part...I really liked Pepper Dennis)

-Mike

11. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    There were a couple of lines that suggested she felt like she was in the wrong body her whole life, so I'm guessing it was just a lifelong goal to change genders. I'm guessing that she also felt a tremendous amount of pressure as the heir to the publishing empire, and that she couldn't both hide her inner torment and sing praises to daddy. Hence, a fake accident and death, a couple of nips-and-tucks, hormone therapy, and voila, Alex becomes Alexis and takes over the empire HER way.

Gee, this sounds like a soap opera! Spanish telenovella style! :)

12. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Who bumped this old thread? Well, moi. Just saw this in repeats, figured there was no point in starting a new thread.

This episode and next week's got picked up by one of my ARWL, probably because of the cameo by Tim Gunn. I had seen a couple of bits of the show before, usuallly while waiting for Grey's Anatomy to come on, but it hadn't grabbed me. I mean, I need a show where they make ugly-girl jokes all the time like I need a sharp stick in the eye.

But I figured, okay, Fashion Week, let's check it out for the costume department's work, if nothing else.

Oboy, what a frustrating show.

Parts of it, so good.

Parts of it, so bad.

America Ferrera is great, of course.

TONS of good snappy bits and throwaway lines. Nice pacing. Fab costuming. Great performances. Loved all the stuff at Betty's workplace.

Then we'd switch to the stuff with her dad and the INS officer. OMG, so predictable, so pedestrian, so leaden and heavy-handed in the delivery -- all the things that make me hate watching comedies on TV, and feel so sorry for the actors who have such crap writing to work with.

Then we'd switch back to Betty and it was fun again.

Loved Betty, loved Justin. The seeing-eye-schtick, so much fun.

Liked Vanessa Williams' performance. And it was great seeing Chris Gorham again, and fun calling my husband over, playing "guess who this actor is".

The whole TG sub-plot -- I was sitting there thinking, OMG, Alexis, what a great TV joke.

And the clothes!

I'll watch the rest of the fashion-week sequence, for sure, but I don't know how much longer I'll stick with the show. It's just too up-and-down in quality for me. But the fun parts were really fun, and I can see why everybody loves it, so all in all, despite the weaker bits, I'm glad I saw this episode.

Good TiVo!

Jan