Ufc 76 - 9\23\07 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kcarl75, Sep 23, 2007.

1. kcarl75

kcarl75 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 23, 2002
    Southern NH

Advertisements

Wow. The fight card has so far lived up to the expectations. They have all been great fights.

The Forrest \ Shogun fight was amazing.

I'd like to see Fitch fight Karo or St. Pierre.

2. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Let me be the first to eat my words. Forest Griffin is BACK! Wow! I had written him off just a bit too soon. Wow. You have to admit though, that this was not the same Forest Griffin. He whole game has elevated to a new level. Couture called it! Wow. I never would have believed that could happen. Way to go Forest.

Liddell... I had a horrible premonition this was going to happen, but I kept shooing it off telling myself he walk right through Jardine. Wrong again. What a night of upsets. Not sure what's going to happen to Diego Sanchez now. If he loses again, that's gonna set him back pretty far. I'd like to see him fight Koscheck again, but I think he'd still lose. I really was pulling for him to win, but he was just dwarfed by Fitch. That guy is HUGE for 170.

Anyway, much better card than I expected and I'm overjoyed to see Griffin's career take such a huge jump. Always fun to see an upset... Well unless it's Chuck Liddell. I feel bad for Chuck. He's off the podium for another year at least. So does this mean Jardine vs. Jackson can't be far off?

3. Raimi

Raimi New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    I've got a new strategy for picking fights. I just figure out who I think is going to win and then choose his opponent. :)

All in all, it was a pretty good ppv but I'm still completely dumbfounded. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. :D

4. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    What was with the split decision in the Liddell/Jardine fight? What 2nd and 3rd round did that guy see?

5. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

Yeah that was weird. The judge must've been a Liddell fan. :p
    That was such a weird fight. About 3/4 of the way through, you could almost see Chucks spirit die. I guess it's true what they've been saying. Once you get knocked out once it's easier for it to happen again. I got this really STRONG sense of dread when Chuck was walking out the tunnel with the camera rolling backwards in front of him. I kept thinking about Dana Whites comment about how Chuck had "gone hollywood" and I swear I could see just a little bit of Chuck trying to give the camera one of those "smoldering looks". Like he was trying to pose for a magazine spread. It was just so out of character for him. He ususally doesn't look directly into the camera at all and seems way more focused on the fight. I don't know... If you have the fight go back and check it out. It's just... Off... I don't think he took this fight seriously enough. It just wasn't the same Chuck. Weird.

On another note. How about that FIRST fight!?! THAT was a grappling CLINIC. I had seen one of them fight before (the brazillian guy) and he just dominated that fight. I thought for sure he would dominate Tyson Griffin too. Not the case at all. That was a great match up. I'm really impressed with Griffin's stand-up game. Both their ground games are ridiculous. What a great fight. Gotta love the 155 pounders. They can scramble :up: .

6. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Yeah, the 155 lbers are exciting as hell. There's so much talent, and so many we've never really seen.

Was anyone else unimpressed with Shogun? Forest did a great job, but I was expecting more out of him. Like Cro-cop and that other guy, they haven't done Pride proud.

7. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    He gassed pretty early. Like he couldn't pace himself. The transition from the ring to the octagon doesn't seem to be an easy one. Cro-cop was a huge letdown. He seemed a lot "smaller" to me than he did in Pride. There's some speculation that the Pride guys may have had to back off the 'roids here in the states. Who knows? I guess the future will tell.

If Rampage Jackson is any indication then they may get better with some extra training for the octagon and elbow strikes etc. Even so, I was shocked at how gassed Shogun got so early. Griffin is a cardio monster and may have just paced him out but it seemed odd to see him that wiped out in the second round. But hey, it happens. Griffin was a stud. No two ways about. Best I've ever seen him and he handled Shogun quite effectively, but what an upset! I was not expecting that at all. I have to think having Randy Couture help you prepare doesn't hurt. He's the king of all upsets.

8. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I think Chuck needs a new nickname :D

Amazing fights with the underdog prevailing (every fight?)!

THis plus the free Fight Night and TUF made for a great week of MMA.

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    There was some speculation around on other forums that the UFCs stricter drug enforcement might explain why shogun didn't perform as well. I have no idea if this is common knowledge or not, but how could an organization take itself seriously without strict drug enforcement policies? And no, I don't consider baseball to be a serious sport, for that very reason.

10. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I've heard the same rumors about former Pride fighters. It was even brought up by Rampage's camp that it may have been the reason Rampage didn't have more success over there since he wasn't "enhanced".

11. gtarent

gtarent New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Honestly it didn't look like Shogun even trained. He was exhausted in the second round, but he looked poor in the first round. Very seriously disappointed with him.

12. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Rampage looked a lot smaller against Henderson than in previous fights (at least from Pride). Either that or his head is getting bigger.

Frank

13. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    that was just because of the octagon being bigger than the Pride ring. ;)

As an aside. I asked my 6 year old daughter if she knew where the Pentagon was and she said no but she knew the Octagon was in Las Vegas. :)

14. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Finally finished watching these fights and every one was a good one. Sad to see ChucK go downhill as it would have been great to see him fight Wanderliegh. Of course Wandy has gone down hill lately as well, so maybe they should fight anyway. I agree with others that other than Rampage, most of the PRIDE guys have been a little disappointing.