Ubernewb: I know it's addressed somewhere... transfer old to new TiVo...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by em-de-em, Jan 24, 2006.

1. em-de-em

em-de-em New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Advertisements

I tried searching, but my mild retardation weakens my comprehension skill sets... I have an old TiVo and am getting a new HD TiVo - is there an idiot's guide or thread that explains "the how-to" on doing this? It's my first post and am amazed at the information on this forum... Thanks in advance...

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's not entirely clear what you want to do. Is it transfer your existing recordings from an unspecified old TiVo to the HD TiVo (which is a DirecTV model)? The short answer is that you can't in any obvious way, other than the old standby of audio/video cables, "Save to VCR" and a manual recording.

If it's something else, please elaborate.

3. em-de-em

em-de-em New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Nope. It's pretty simple (I would assume)(If I knew how)... I want to transfer the contents of my old Hughes SD-DVR40 to the new HR10-250... Thank you for your reply!

4. em-de-em

em-de-em New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    bump.

5. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta

Advertisements

There's not an easy way to do this directly.
    Hooking the old recorder to a VCR, DVD recorder, or PC and transfering the content you want to keep is probably your best option.

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    This can be done only if both units are modified to disable encryption and network-enabled. I did so between my DSR704 and HR10-250. But the path to this is complex and not discussed in this forum.

7. em-de-em

em-de-em New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Thanks for the responses guys. I was hoping there was an easier way. I just didn't want to have to ditch the saved movies, et al... Thanks again... Mark