Two-year commitment-can someone explain it?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by aVOLanche, Jul 27, 2007.

1. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...

Advertisements

If you are leasing an HR10-250 and it fails,D* will send you a new HR20 and(from what I understand) start the 2 year commitment over again.If you have the Protection Plan,the 2-Year commit does NOT restart.Is that all correct?

What if you own the receiver?How does a replacement work?You buy a new one and call to authorize it?New commit?......or.......They send you a new one and restart the 2-year?Costs?
    Is the Protection Plan worth the $$ to prevent the restarts of the commit?

Thanks to anyone for a full expanation of these policies!

2. ycrazyy

ycrazyy Big Perm

Dec 2, 2001
    New York, NY
    I'm not sure about the protection plan, but what I have understood is basically whenever you activate a new receiver (unless you beg, plead and possibly steal for them) they will almost always enact a new 2 year commitment regardless of it being owned or leased. I bought a used HR10 at one point and got them to activate it without a new 2 year commitment, but I was lucky.

I have definitely read stories of people who have had their leased receivers replaced under the protection plan and it was a new 2 year commitment when they activated it. I have read of other people finding ways to avoid the commitment. I think it's all luck of the CSR draw.

3. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Is the 2 year commitment for the monthly service of the DVR only? If, for some reason, you didn't want Directv anymore, would you only have to pay them $5 a month for your 2 year commitment, or would it be more based on programming?

4. kramerboy

kramerboy Jelly Man

Jul 13, 2001
    Orrville, OH
    it is a programming based commitment

5. ycrazyy

ycrazyy Big Perm

Dec 2, 2001
    New York, NY

Advertisements

Yeah I forget what the exact figure is but I think if you cancel your subscription before your commitment ends it is something like $13/mo for the remaining months.