1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two TiVos + Two Peanuts

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by CarlWalters, Mar 10, 2011.

1. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    Eventually managed to get my newly arrived second TiVo dialling in OK and downloading listings thanks to a new microfilter and all the advice here.

Now I'm in the position of having two TiVos and two TiVo remotes. Is there a way of being able to use one remote to control both TiVos? I seem to remember that it was possible - but I can't seem to find any details in this forum or in the TiVo Remote Guide or Viewers Guide pdfs that I found.

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I have two Philips Series 1 Tivos and any of my peanut remotes work on any of my Tivos (even on the HD Tivo). Are you trying to use a single remote on two Tivos that are in the same room? If so, then I think that the peanut controller that is standard for the dual-tuner Series 2, Series 3, and HD Tivos has the capability of controlling two Tivos separately. This remote has a DVR switch with a 1 and a 2. I have not tried it in this mode because my Tivos are all in different rooms but I can get back to you on it.

3. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Found a link to instructions for using one remote to control two Tivos. It does require the remote with the 1-2 switch. For some reason this forum stars out part of the link when I try to put it in (see below). Click on the link below and then replace the stars in your browser with "wk forums" (remove the space and the quote marks).

http://www.********.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-17.html

4. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    If the Virgin Media boxes are like the US Premiere boxes (they look very similar; I'm not sure the function similarly), you can change the peanut's remote address to match the address of the DVR you want to control by pressing Pause + TiVo Home buttons simultaneously, followed by the number of the address you want to change to.

The steps to set the DVR and remote's addresses:

1. Cover the front of one of the DVRs with something to block the IR signal (I used aluminum foil)
    2. Navigate to System Information: Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > System Information. Press the DOWN arrow until you see the item "Remote Address".
    3. Cover the end of the peanut remote, and press the TiVo Home buttons simultaneously until the red light on the end of the remote stays on, then press a number from 1-9 to represent this DVR's address (zero is a universal address that will control *any* TiVo DVR, regardless of it's address.) I suggest using the number 1.
    4. Uncover the end of the remote, and press the RIGHT arrow. On the screen, the Remote Address changes from 0 to the number pressed earlier (1, if you followed my suggestion.) Press the TiVo Home button to exit the System Information screen.

At this point, you should be able to control one DVR with the remote, while the other DVR ignores any key presses from the same remote. So halfway there! Next:

5. Remove the cover from the other DVR, and cover the front of the DVR that you just set.
    6. Cover the end of the peanut remote, and press the Pause + TiVo Home buttons simultaneously until the red light on the end of the remote stays on, then press 0 (zero) to reset the remote so it can control this new DVR. Or you could just grab the other remote if you wanted to use two remotes to control two DVRs in the same room.
    7. Navigate to System Information: Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > System Information. Press the DOWN arrow until you see the item "Remote Address".
    8. Cover the end of the peanut remote, and press the Pause + TiVo Home buttons simultaneously until the red light on the end of the remote stays on, then press a number from 1-9 to represent this DVR's address. I suggest using the number 2.
    9. Uncover the end of the remote, and press the RIGHT arrow. On the screen, the Remote Address changes from 0 to the number pressed earlier (2, if you followed my suggestion.) Press the TiVo button to exit the System Information screen.

Now each of your DVRs have a unique remote address, and they should be able to be controlled independently using either one or two peanut remote controls. As mentioned, if you want to control both DVRs with one remote, using the Pause + TiVo Home + # method will accomplish the task, though it is a bit cumbersome. For me, it's a two handed task covering the end of the remote, and pressing the buttons simultaneously. I suggest using two remotes, and labeling them "1" and "2". The second remote would have to have it's address set accordingly, using the Pause+TiVo+# method.

I hope this helps!

5. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Actually, a 1-2 switch isn't required. See my post above. :up:

6. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Copied from page 103 of the S1 manual

7. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Good to know. That gives him an option if he doesn't want to buy a new remote. The new remote would just make it a little less cumbersome.

8. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    But with a remote with a 1-2 switch, you'd lose the colored A B C D function buttons.

9. steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    As the OP is in the UK and we're in the UK forum then I think we're only talking about a UK S1 remote, which doesn't have a 1-2 switch.

10. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    That's correct Steve, it's the UK S1 Remote that I'm trying to use.

Still interesting stuff though. :)

11. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    Excellent, I think this is exactly what I need. Thank you very much Orangeboy. I'll try it out tonight.

12. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    there's at least 1 remote in the UK with the 1-2 switch on it (though i'm sure there's more), i swapped it with dave h when i sold my second s1 as it wasn't really required.

shame we can't order directly from the tivo store anymore, i want another tivo guy car ariel thingy.

13. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    :up:

Let me know how it works out -
    Even though I'm in the States, I'm still interested in what TiVo is doing abroad, and how different the varying releases are, such as what menus and functions are available (or omitted).

14. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Carl

My extract is from the UK S1 manual.
    I have PDF files for the complete manual and appendices. If you want them PM me with an email address to send them

15. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    A B C D function buttons? Not on any of the peanut remotes I have for Series 1 or HD Tivo. Must be unique to UK but how would you know that living in Florida?

16. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Pictures!
    [​IMG]

A B C D is new to the Premiere, which appears to be a close cousin to the Virgin Media box (software/UI-wise).

Edit: It doesn't look like the colored buttons are labeled A B C D on that remote. Those unorthodox Brits! :D

17. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Some confusion seems to have developed in this thread about exactly what you want to do.

If you want to have both TiVos in the same room you can

A: Use 2 identical TiVo remotes, but assign one to one remote address and the other to a different remote address.

B: Use one remote for both machines, assigning each a different remote address, but for that you have to have one of the TiVo remotes with the 1-2 slide switch.

That's for Philips and Philips-ish TiVos, like the US Series 2 TiVo brand TiVos.

Sony TiVos use a different remote code, so they ignore signals from a Philips and vice versa, but can still do the 2 machines and 2 indentical remotes in the same room trick by utilizing different remote addresses.

Other brands of TiVo, like the Humax stuff, I don't have any info on.

18. peterseventy

peterseventy peterseventy

Sep 22, 2005
    Nottingham
    I have enjoyed three TiVo Series 1s in the same room for the last ten years, configured to addresses 1, 2, and 3. Am tempted to go for two VM TiVos if I ever get the call. Does anybody know if they can be assigned different addresses?

19. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
  20. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    not sure they can exist in the same room, don't think the remotes can be individually addressed.