Two Tivos, same IR signals

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JohnL88, Aug 17, 2007.

1. JohnL88

JohnL88 New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    I have an issue that I know has been solved but can't find it on the forum.

I have an older Tivo Series 2 and recently bought a used HR10-250. I plan to keep both together in the same wall unit. I was surprised to find out they both operate using the same IR signals. Is there a way to control each independently?

Thanks

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Yes, the tivo remotes ship by default with code 0 enabled which will control any Tivo. You need to train the units to use different codes and then make sure none of the remotes are set to zero because it will override the previous setting.

goto ddb /forum/showthread.php?t=56088 for instructions.

3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
  4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    A suggestion?

Unplug the TiVo you're not using when changing the codes on the other one.

You might also want to get a TiVo remote with a 1/2 switch, which will allow control of both machines with one remote. Careful about the DirecTiVo remotes with the similar switch. Don't believe they'll do it for you.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    BTW, the how is in the manual. :)

6. memnochtv

memnochtv New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    i just came across this thread for a similar issue i'm having between a Tivo HD and a Series 2. i was able to set one to DVR1 and the other to DVR2 but am disappointed that a DVR0 remote can still control both! this is quite an issue because my Home Theater Master remote has the 0 remote code, and i would hate to need to switch to the Tivo remote whenever i use Tivo... does anyone know if the 1 & 2 remote codes are available from Home Theater Master's library? how about from Logitech's Harmony database? Thanks.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    There are 9 codes besides "0" not just two.
    Logitech has them. I use my harmony to control 3 Tivos on a single TV using codes 9, 7 and 5.