Two TiVos, same error: Failed. Error S02.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ruth, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1 of 29
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Both my TiVos (a S2 and a S2DT) had daily calls that failed today. They have been working fine up until now, but both now have identical symptoms. They report "Failed. Error S02." They are wirelessly networked, and both of them report signal strength as excellent (above 80%). Test calls work fine; but daily calls fail. My internet seems to be working just fine as far as I can tell.

I did a search and didn't find much information about this error code. One thread suggested that an S02 error was an internal problem in the box -- but BOTH of my machines developing the identical hardware problem on the same day seems kind of unlikely to me.

Any ideas?

2. Oct 3, 2007 #2 of 29
    funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    If they were mine I would try a clear and delete everything even though I would lose all recordings and season passes.

3. Oct 3, 2007 #3 of 29
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Might be a server problem, Ruth. I'd hold off before doing anything hasty.

4. Oct 3, 2007 #4 of 29
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    funtoupgrade, what do you know about the S02 error that leads you to suggest such a drastic step as a first approach? Normally a C&DE is a last resort type remedy and that really seems like jumping the gun here. I mean, I haven't really tried any basic troubleshooting steps other than posting!

Roy, do you mean a problem with the TiVo server? Or my ISP? Certainly it's very suspicious that both my TiVos have the same issue, so I would tend to suspect something like that as well. Is anybody else having this problem?

5. Oct 4, 2007 #5 of 29
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Updates: Both machines are still having daily calls that fail due to Error S02.

I was able to schedule a season pass on the DT using online scheduling, however, so it's able to connect to the TiVo service over my network in some capacity.

I forced a call on the DT and watched it try to connect. It completed downloading, but failed at the "Loading" stage. It went straight from "Preparing to load" to "Failed. Error S02."

Maybe they are having trouble loading the new software update?

I could really use some help with this problem! Can anyone help me figure out what is going on and how to fix it?

6. Oct 4, 2007 #6 of 29
    Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Ruthy,

I had a similar problem way back in the S1 days. It also happened right around a software upgrade. The cause turned out to be that the TiVo servers believed my machines needed to take a software update that it had already taken, so when it called in, it would connect, get the software and fail at loading. Sounds kind of similar.

Resolution was a boondoggle as I had to navigate two tiers of phone monkeys before I could get to someone empowered to help beyond a script. Once it was escalated to that level, it took them about a day to figure it out and then 5 minutes to fix it on their end.

Dunno if this is your issue, but you might want to start climbing the mountain that is TiVo support now so you can get to someone helpful more quickly. Good luck.

7. Oct 4, 2007 #7 of 29
    Narf54321

Narf54321 New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    IIRC, sometimes it has to do with the Tivo losing the "keys" to unpack certain system updates. This would fit in with what Billy66 was saying when the mothership suddenly thinks you should be on a different system version.

Its a pain in the hind-quarters, but you could try re-running the Guided Setup. You might need to fix your season passes afterward. But it has fixed a few "weird" problems in the past.

8. Oct 4, 2007 #8 of 29
    Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Thanks guys.

My fondest hope is to get this fixed up before I run out of guide data, and without having to C&DE and lose my recordings and SPs.

Narf, If I try to re-run Guided Setup and it cannot load data, won't I stall out in GS and be unable to continue, rendering my TiVo useless? That is also an outcome I very much wish to avoid.

Billy's probably right that I need to get on the horn with TiVo. Ugh. Are there any talismanic words you can say to get past scripted first-line CSRs? I am also wondering whether it would be bad form to PM TiVoJerry or another of the TiVo guys on the forum and ask for advice re: this. Sometimes they pop into threads and are very helpful at getting people connected with the higher-level techs, but I'm not sure whether it's appropriate for a user to initiate that interaction.

9. Oct 4, 2007 #9 of 29
    jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    My S3 did something similar to this not long after I set it up. A reboot cleared it up.

It can't be just coincidence, though, that both machines developed the symptom at the same time.

10. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    The involvement of the TiVo memebrs here has historically been the best (if not only) method of assuring expedient and knowledgeable problem resolution.

From an etiquette standpoint, I'd hesitate to involve them without first attempting the proper channel regardless of our expectation of the ability at that level.

11. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I know, it's weird.

Rebooting the TiVos has not fixed the problem. Same for the computer. I guess tonight I'll do a hard reboot of both boxes, plus my computer, modem, and router all at once and see if that helps. With both boxes affected it seems like it might be something in my wireless network? But since online scheduling is working just fine, I am not sure what to conclude. Unfortunately I am weak at troubleshooting in the computer area, so other than rebooting everything I don't really have a handle on how I would go about troubleshooting network problems on my side.

12. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Yep, I'm sure your right. I need to put in the time on the phone like everybody else. It's not the time so much, mainly I'm just worried they'll insist I C&DE and I'd really like to avoid that if my problem can be fixed without it.

Thanks Billy. :)

13. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    After you've really tried and pull your hair out etc, at least you have the knowledge of how to get the TiVo guys here involved on your behalf. A regular Joe customer wouldn't have that peace of mind.

If you're feeling adventurous, maybe you could use Tivo to Go to extract needed shows from one of your units and then rerun GS, do a C&D etc just to see if any of it works for you.

If it does then use Tivo to Come Back to put them back on.

Alternatively, you could install an image on a new (or used) drive, put that into one of your TiVo's, let it upgrade and see if the problem returns on day 2. If it does that would indicate the problem I described above.

Sorry it happened at the start of the new TV season. At least it's not the start of B-ball season. :)

14. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    True, true.

Yeah, if I have to C&DE I can do some transfers and start with the older S2 -- most of my stuff's on the DT so that wouldn't be too too bad.

This I think is over my head technically, unfortunately. Oh no, wait, actually I think I have a formatted drive for the DT already. Hmm. I could certainly stick that in. Although -- I don't think my problem is quite what you described. You said yours was trying to upgrade but had in fact already upgraded? Mine haven't upgraded at all yet. My theory is that they are trying to but failing for some reason.

Yikes, good point. Or, God forbid, in March. :eek: That would NOT be amusing!

15. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    That's always my first thought for the solution to all of life's problems. :D

Seriously though, the new drive may not provide many answers in your case. It sounds similar yet definitely different that what happened with mine.

Good luck.

16. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Just got off from about 1 hour and 45 minutes with TiVo CS.

Went through usual troubleshooting and had a second-level tech review the logs. Bottom line is they have no idea what the problem is and say they've never seen the SO2 error presented in quite this way before. She thought it might be that my network is overwhelmed by 2 boxes trying to get the new SW update at the same time, so she had me disconnect one of them and force a call on the other, but that didn't help. Finally she told me to kickstart the boxes with the 57 procedure and see if that fixes the problem. If not she thinks they will have to RMA the boxes.

I am trying the kickstart with the older S2 now, as I have less critical stuff on there. (Before I do the DT I'll need to pull some recordings onto my computer.) It's GSODing now so I guess I'll know when I get home from work tonight if this has worked. Here's hoping it doesn't kill the box! :\

On the plus side she said I'll probably end up with a lifetime DT if I have to RMA the boxes, since they're not sending out the single-tuner S2s anymore and that's the one I have on lifetime. Still, I really hope it doesn't come to that -- I'll almost certainly miss a bunch of shows if I have to RMA both my TiVos.

17. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    Seems extremely unlikely that both your boxes failed and need RMA at the same time.

Have you considered trying to connect one using the phone line? That would rule out the network completely even though the other evidence indicates your network is functioning properly.

Sorry. :(

18. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Yes, it certainly does. But if they can't locate and resolve the problem, what else are they going to do?

I have considered it, yes. In fact last night I started down that road but only got as far as discovering that I'd unplugged the phone line from the machine and didn't remember what I did with it or whether my wireless phone jack setup was even functioning at this point, and I was too lazy to crawl back there and sort it all out. :eek: My plan is to give that a shot before kickstarting the DT.

Yeppers, me too. Thanks.

19. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003

Check in Steven's room behind the bed.

20. Narf54321

Narf54321 New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Not to sound snooty, but an MFS filesystem check seems a bit ridiculous for a problem obviously affecting *both* of your machines at the same time. I mean, a bad spot on a hard drive could have an impact on maybe one or the other... but chance that a HDD error affecting both units in the same manner would be infinitesimally small. Sounds like typical Tivo CSR playbook material Kickstart 57 and when that fails to solve anything... RMA.

A couple more likely possibilities: (1) Problem with your account/certificates on Tivo's end, (2) one of the downloads has a particular bit-pattern which is freaking out your wireless router.

A long phone-line to rule out network issues is a good idea.

As I mentioned, you could also try a Guided Setup on one of the machines to update the SHA 'certificates' on your box.