1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Tivos on same television - remote control issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kcm105, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dec 5, 2018 #1 of 10
    kcm105

kcm105 New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Hey everyone. I've googled the heck out of this and have come up with nothing. I'm hoping someone here can help!

We recently went from a Roamio to a Bolt (OTA). There are still some things on my Roamio I need to watch, and we've got it hooked up to another input on our television. The problem is that both the new and old remotes control both of our Tivos. Is there any way for me to stop this and just associate a remote for each unit? I've tried doing a reset on the remote, etc., but nothing seems to make a difference.

Thanks!

2. Dec 5, 2018 #2 of 10
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. Dec 5, 2018 #3 of 10
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    You can change the Remote Address' from '0' to '1' and '2' respectively to get the result you're looking for.

-KP

Edit: Beat me by that much!

4. Dec 5, 2018 #4 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When you paired the new Bolt, the remote probably found the Roamio first and paired to it. I assume both remotes have an amber LED when you hit a key? You can pair two remotes in RF mode to two units without interference. I have found it's best to turn off the unit that's not being paired. You may have to start from scratch to fix this. I have three Roamio units within 10 feet of each other and no problems.

This link will help, and it has links to other procedures: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Remotes-RF-Pairing-Instructions.

The "address" in earlier posts only applies to remotes in IR mode. You can follow that route, but I find RF easier once it's configured.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As @JoeKustra said, you should be using the Roamio and BOLT remotes in RF mode, and they can control their paired boxes independently.

That said, when a RF remote loses its connection with its paired box, the remote will fallback to IR mode; so, you’d want to both get the remotes properly paired for RF mode but also ensure that each remote and its box have been configured with distinct non-zero IR remote addresses, per the how-to linked by @Jonathan_S.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can only survive with my TiVo units so close by blocking the front with items that prevent IR signals. It appears that the remote, when RF fails, drops to IR mode on channel 0. I haven't done extensive testing. It's easy to block the front of a basic Roamio. A Bolt looks to be harder. Also, with the front blocked when a remote does drop to IR mode, nothing happens. I have a theory on the noise, and I need to verify the source. I did change the channel on my Premiere, but it is seldom powered up, and even then it sits in Standby most of the time.

Since I have three Mini units only five feet from the Roamio units, the interference must be very weak since they never drop to IR mode.

Upon further contemplation, I just realized my TE4 Roamio, about 2' away from the TE3, has never has a remote failure. This is getting more interesting.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:03 AM
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... or to whatever IR remote address has been programmed into the remote.

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Exactly. I have 3 Roamios and a Bolt stacked up in one spot. Depending on battery level & where I hold the remote, they occasionally drop back into IR mode. Since they all have unique IR addresses (from 4 to 8) it doesn't matter when the RF occasionally fails back to IR. Even when I fire up my old Series 2s on IR addresses 1-4 every few months it all works.

It takes a little attention to the details, but you can have up to 9 TiVos in one room without any interference.

Mikeguy, kpeters59 and krkaufman like this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just need to be careful not to leave any boxes on the System Information screen, right?

Are there any other screens that can alter a box’s IR remote address?

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Not that I know of. Even on Series 1s the SI screen was the only way to change the IR address on the TiVo itself. Back then the Philips models only supported 0-2 and the Sony SVR2000s supported 0-4.

krkaufman likes this.