Two Tivos on network one account

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jgreg5, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jgreg5

jgreg5 New Member

Feb 4, 2004

Advertisements

Hi all,

I wanted to know if I can have two tivos on a home network with one account. I have a unit in the living room and want to watch the shows in the bedroom. Whats the best way to do it? I have a wired network and wireless network installed. Any ideas?

I have searched the forums but cant find anything.

Thanks in advance

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Read your manuals about MRV. They can be on the same account, but still need separately subscribed. Usually, if they can call home over the network, they can probably talk to each other for MRV.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Whose "account" are we talking about?

Each Tivo needs a Tivo subscription.
    And they both need either a coax cable drop or cable box with them to get all your channels.

Once your network connectivity comes in via your cable/DSL modem, you should have a router in the house that is the core of your network.

Does this help? It's tough since I'm stumbling on what part you're stumbling on ;)

Diane

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    For all you guys know he has two Series 1 units.

5. jgreg5

jgreg5 New Member

Feb 4, 2004

Advertisements

I only have one now, but I'm going to get a second one. I wanted to use just one subscription on my account. I wouldnt want the second to record just play the shows from the first tivo. Its a series two unit. Is that possible?

6. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    S1s have no network-able interface, so you'd not be able to have it "talk" to another unit. There are "hacks" available that add a network interface, but I have no experience with how hard they are to implement, how much they cost, how well they work, etc.

Does the S1 have a Lifetime sub?

7. jgreg5

jgreg5 New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    no no the one I have now is a series 2 - I WONT HACK ANYTHING - EVER

8. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Both TiVo units MUST be activated with TiVo service to be functional. What you are describing will work perfectly fine, you just need an active account on the new unit.

9. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    All Series 2 and 3 TiVo's need a subscription to use any/all of the features except for watching the live buffer (ie. pause, rewind, ff the 30 minute buffer) and playback of any program that was recorded on the unit (when it was subbed). Without a subscription any unit is basically useless.

10. jgreg5

jgreg5 New Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Well that solves that! Whats the cheapest deal going on now for a subscription?

11. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    LOL You might be SOL on achieving your goal without ponying up the dough to do things the right way.

12. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    MSD rates are $6 off the prevailing rates for any length of service contract that you choose. The longer the term, the less the monthly rate.

I believe a 3 yr. commitment would be $12.95 - $6 = $6.95/month.

13. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
  14. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    That is not true. The S2 Pioneer DVD (I own 4 of these) and Toshiba DVD Tivos include Tivo Basic which gives you only 2 days of guide data and no season pass (If memory serves). However, I believe they must be subscribed to do any MRV or take advantage of any network features since you have to enable that on the Tivo subscription.

15. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002

Huh? Your post does not make much sense. You are adding unnecessary complexity to the original question.

The OP was asking about MRV and home networking. Further, the OP asked what the cheapest deal going for a subscription. TiVo Basic does not include any networking or MRV features, nor does it qualify as subscription, even for MSD.

You then go on to say, that a DVD unit with TiVo Basic needs to be subscribed. Why mention TiVo Basic in the first place if it has nothing to do with the original question? TiVo Basic is worthless for this particular thread.

I stand by my original statements:

"MSD rates are $6 off the prevailing rates for any length of service contract that you choose. The longer the term, the less the monthly rate."

as well as:

"All Series 2 and 3 TiVo's need a subscription to use any/all of the features except for watching the live buffer (ie. pause, rewind, ff the 30 minute buffer) and playback of any program that was recorded on the unit (when it was subbed)."

16. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Your original statement said "Without a subscription any unit is basically useless". That information was incorrect and needed to be pointed out to some unsuspecting person that might use this forum to learn something. I notice that what you now "stand by" and call your "original statments", does not include this incorrect information. So I guess what you really stand by is the fact that you now realize you were wrong and you stand corrected.