Two TiVos freezing simultaneously

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bumgarb, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bumgarb

bumgarb New Member

Aug 26, 2008

Advertisements

I have two Series3 HD DVRs connected to my wired home network. Both units have M-cablecards and tuning adapters attached for service through Time Warner.

Starting 12/9/2011 (Friday,yesterday), both units have started freezing. The units do not respond to the remote. In some cases, the video and audio continue playing... others the video/sound completely freeze. Occasionally display oddities occur, like the playback status bar appears at the bottom of the screen but won't disappear and doesn't slowly move as the video plays.

But the most odd thing that I've noticed is that both units freeze at the same time. My living room unit just froze and sure enough the bedroom TiVo was also frozen. This is the third time I've unplug the units to reboot. About 4 hours passed between the most recent reboots.

I've never had an issues with these units prior to last night.

Has anyone else experienced this? How can I check when the last firmware update occurred? Any suggestions?

2. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Are the TiVos plugged directly into the wall, or do you have UPSs?

A voltage drop when some high-current unit switches on (furnace, range, oven, or even a laser printer in some cases), coupled with a possible lower voltage from your utility company due to high seasonal demand could explain this.

3. bumgarb

bumgarb New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Both are plugged into UPSes.

4. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    When this happens, are the TiVos tuned to the same channel?

You may have signal strength problems, either because something went wrong at TW or because something went wrong with the wiring in your house (e.g. a bad splitter or distribution amp).

There are screens on the TiVos that will display current signal strength and error rate. I'd be willing to wager that the error rates are going thru the roof while these problems are happening.

5. bumgarb

bumgarb New Member

Aug 26, 2008

Advertisements

@Phantom You may be correct. Between my original post and your post, I rebooted both Tivos 3-4 times. What I notices was that the units were freezing when attempting to 1) Tune channels that wouldn't tune or 2) trying to record channels that wouldn't tune. I don't know how that was causing both to freeze, but it seemed related. So I unplugged one Tivo completely. For the other I rebooted the TiVo and the Tuning Adapter (by disconnecting power). No problem for 6 hours. So I plugged the other unit in and rebooted the tuning adapter. No issues since. That doesn't solidly indicate that it was the tuning adapters, but the adapters are typically the issue. I should have known to try that earlier. The more issues I have with these Time Warner pieces of junk, the harder it is becoming to stay loyal to TiVo. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

6. pninen

pninen Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Do you have tuning adapters on these TiVos?

I believe some freezes are caused by the tuning adapters, in response to some activity from the head end. On my TiVos, I can get rid of the user interface freezes by disconnecting the tuning adapters.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I suppose there are some who would consider that co-incidental, and not part of TWC's master plan.