Two Things That TiVo Still Doesn't Do

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dcrowell77, Sep 17, 2017.

1. dcrowell77

dcrowell77 Member

Dec 27, 2007
    After all of these years I am still amazed (and saddened) that my TiVo can't do 2 basic things.

1) Do a channel search through my cable channels - Seriously, how hard would it be to walk through every channel and check for a valid signal with authorization? Considering that every cable company has several dozen combinations of weird packages there is no way TiVo can possibly understand all the options.

2) Give me a list of all movies available to record sorted by year - So many pointless ways to search online/streaming platforms and no way to maximize the primary use-case for my DVR.

Sigh... No real point to posting, just bugged me today. If someone has any information about these, let me know!

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    #1 isn't really possible because of the CableCARD. The CableCARD provides a map that converts the QAM frequencies to user friendy channels. The entire UI, and the data it uses, is based around those user friendly channels. So to add channels not in the map would require an elaborate UI that allows you to manually map a QAM frequency to a channel that is already in TiVo's data. If you're missing a channel it's easier to just contact TiVo and tell them it's missing so they can add it on their end.

3. dcrowell77

dcrowell77 Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I respectfully disagree. :) I (as a human) can enable all channels and then slowly press channel-up to walk through each channel. Every channel will either get tuned or the TiVo will throw an error. That means that the TiVo software is aware of which channels are tuneable. The TiVo software is also perfectly capable of tuning each channel that you have enabled. Put two and two together and you have a channel search.

The problem isn't missing a channel it is the situation I described above. TiVo has exactly 2 channel configurations for my zip code 'Basic Cable' and 'Standard Digital Cable'. Charter has 3 tiers of service, plus about 5 optional add-on packages, plus the various premium services, plus the grandfathered-in service tiers that they still support. That means I have to manually find the channel lists on Charter's website (which they do not make simple) and program in the channels that I found. I also need to check back once in awhile to see if they added channels.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Oh you mean have it search through the channels you receive. I thought you meant how it works with OTA where it can actually find channels by frequency. I guess what you're describing could be handy, but I bet it would be really slow.

FYI the program kmttg can copy a lineup from one TiVo to another, or back it up as a file, so if you find yourself doing this a lot that might be a faster option.

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I suppose I could see the value of that for someone that has a lineup well below the max. Personally, I have everything from Charter except some odd foreign language channels, so I have little need for such a feature. For any new channels added by Spectrum, in theory, they are automatically added by TiVo with a message to me. But no, if a channel moves from one tier to another, TiVo doesn't do anything.

6. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I would *love* this feature. The Comcast lineup seems pretty far off on my Tivo. There are lots of channels that I don't actually receive and I have to manually go through and remove them one by one. I think Comcast is just sloppy with their cable card lineups as they rearrange channels, but that's just a SWAG.

rrwcm likes this.
  7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I'm going to throw in a disagree as well. When a channel gets added to my fios that TiVo doesn't have, it identifies the name of the channel. For example, TiVo recently incorrectly removed espn buzzer beater from my lineup. The channel is tunable and says "ESPN Buzzer Beater HD."

It appears the data is there. They just don't do anything with it.

8. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Yep. It might be slow to have TiVo scan all the channels and remove the ones that throw the "Not authorized" error, but it wouldn't be as slow as me manually stepping through all of them to do the same thing by hand.

tim1724 likes this.
  9. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Even if it is slow, allow it to be a user command. I have FIOS and am have a ton of channels that throw a "Channel Unavailable Error" due to not being authorized.

It is a PITA for me to manually remove them because I need to pop back and forth between the channel edit screen and live TV with a notepad to write down the missing channels. At least TiVo could make it easier to test channels right from the screen where you add/delete them from your lineup.

tim1724 and DancnDude like this.
  10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I thought I read somewhere once that it's possible to edit the channel list using the guide. I don't remember the exact keys to press though.

11. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    But I just want Tivo to not add new channels that are not authorized so I don't have to remove them.

Also, I want Tivo to NOT auto add any new channels. Give me a message that pops up and I can check which ones I want of the newly available ones. I'm tired of deleting Spanish channels and new local access channels from my guide.

12. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    Yup, but it only works in Grid view. Arrow to the left to highlight the channel name and press select. There are three options presented: Watch now, Add channel to favorites, and Remove from Channel List.

krkaufman and tim1724 like this.
  13. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It would also be useful if we could use the video window in the channels menu to test the channel.

In any event, a channel scan would be great. It'd be slow, but less of a hassle than doing it manually. I suggested this to Ira during one of his webcam focus groups back in winter when someone brought up improving the out of box experience in general.

Verizon occasionally adds channels to additional tiers but I don't know about it unless I stumble onto the channel by accident, so I'd probably run the scan once every other month or so just to keep things on lock, and ideally the scanner would also respect user overrides (like keeping SD equivalents hidden.)

After it's done a channel notification would be nice too. "You now receive" and "you no longer receive".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Coincidentally, Nielsen is installing their equipment on our setups today. They had to scroll through every channel to see if we receive receive it or not. Not surprisingly this took quite some time.

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Even if you use the live guide, you can do the same thing in the mini guide, or whatever it's called, by pressing select on live tv.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Mikeguy likes this.
  16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It would be glacially slow for the TiVo to tune to hundreds of cable channels to select the ones being received. It would take all day. Much easier to have the user select the channels they want in the guide.

I can go through the hundreds of channels on my FiOS Ultimate HD tier and have the ones I receive added to my list in literally a few minutes.

And I just did it a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the 4TB drive in my Bolt with a 500GB drive. It only took a few minutes.

I would rather spend a few minutes doing it myself than waiting many hours for the TiVo to do it on it's own. And then of course if the TiVo did it automatcially, the TiVo list would be incorrect because it would still have the VOD advertising channels and others on the list. Which we can't use anyway.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Disagree. TVs do it in a few minutes. Why would you think it would take hours? If it took 2 seconds to register the channel (signal and CC decrypt), 1000 channels would take half an hour. Use all four tuners on a Bolt and you are talking 8 minutes.

Worth it for a one time setup or occasional cleanup.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Because it doesn't take two seconds. First you tune to a channel which can take two seconds. But then for channels you are not authorized to receive, the info to pop up from the cable card can take ten to twenty seconds or longer. I've seen it take over a minute sometimes with every TiVo I've used since 2006. With both Comcast and FiOS. And sometimes nothing will popup on a non authorized channel. So then you would still have channels in the list you don't want. Which means you still need to go through the list to make sure the correct channels are selected or not selected.

Again, much quicker for me to do it manually since it takes literally a few minutes. As in under five minutes to go through hundreds of channels on the list.

19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Wow. I get that notice immediately on Fios. And part of that time is actually putting the notice up. They could use the background tuners to not disturb you.

Of course it would not be 100% but I have hundreds of channels on Fios that I don't get and don't know if I do or not. This is a utility to help whittle things down, not the end-all be-all of your list of channels.

If it takes you five minutes, come do mine. I have to check if a channel is tunable or not for a bunch of them. I use another box to do it so I don't have to leave the channel list screen.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I bet they don't do it with cable because of the TA. When you request a channel via the TA it locks in the frequency for a certain amount of time. So doing a scan could potentially ruin the MSOs SDV system for X minutes/hours.

tim1724 and powrcow like this.