Two Televisions, One Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rivka, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rivka

rivka New Member

Jan 24, 2003

Advertisements

My husband and I just bought a house (our first), and we're excited to have enough space to set up one of the bedrooms as an exercise room. I really like to watch TV while I'm sitting on the exercise bike, and even better, I'd like to watch stuff that I've recorded ;) I really can't justify buying a second Tivo that would sit in a room that would get used only 30-40 minutes a day, and would only be recording Judge Judy and The Daily Show.

So...is there a way to set things up so that the TV in the exercise room can access the Tivo in the Living Room? Running a cable isn't really an option, as they're on opposite sides of the house, so I'm hoping there's something we can do that involves wireless connections. Our Tivo is a Series 2, 80 hour, Tivo brand DVR.

2. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    I have seen units that will transmit the signal to another tv, but I cannot remember what it was called. All things considered, buying the cable and running it yourself would be cheaper.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...kw=wireless&kwCatId=2032057&parentPage=search

Radio Shack wireless A/V signal sender/receiver.
    Catalog #: 15-2572

Will take the audio and video from one of your TiVo's RCA jack sets, and send it wirelessly to its own receiver.

The receiver will feed its signal into another TV. (If you don't have A/V inputs on the second TV, you might also need an RF converter.)

This device also seems to also handle InfraRed remote signals, in addition to the A/V; if so, you'll also be able to control the TiVo from the other room if you place the sender and receiver appropriately.

4. xnevergiveinx

xnevergiveinx New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    ^ you don't want that. i used to have it a while ago, to transfer video from one floor down, using a vrc as the cable tuner. it would get messed up whenever the microwave was used. i think it would get messed up with my wireless router and cordless phone now too

5. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore

Advertisements

If you have a home network, a Sling box would do it.

But a cheap solution would be to run composite (or s-video) to your TV by the TiVo and the RF output to the TV in the exercise room on channel 3 or 4. Then an IR extender (pyramid shaped is one popular one) could allow you to control it from the exercise room.

6. ThreeSoFar

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    just be sure to run more than one cable if you run any. You may want ethernet or phone or both or another coax at a later date...

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
  8. ThreeSoFar

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    Funny. I just saw an ad for this in the banner ad at the top of TCF. Go figure.

Nifty gadget, easy to implement. Not as cheap as wired RF, though, though easier than running cable.

http://www.weaknees.com/rf_remote_details.php