Two spontaneous reboots on HR10-250 this a.m.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ddarche, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ddarche

ddarche New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Belmont, Calif
    Hi folks,

Knock-on-wood, my 10-250 has been working fine for a long time. All of a sudden, early this a.m., it rebooted. Then about one hour later, it re-booted again.

I have had 1-2 reboots since I installed it, when they first came out.

Is this an indication that maybe the HD is going bad or something else?

I am unsure of the firmware at this moment but AFAIK it has been keeping up with all of the updates.

Thx Dave

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Most likely just a glitch. If it keeps happen though, likely causes include ....
    * overheating
    * AC power glitches
    * hard drive dying

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check your software version on the System Info screen.

This can be a signal of imminent hard drive failure.

4. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    My HR10 reboots once about every 3-5 weeks or so, which is pretty normal behavior. Twice in an hour might be a sign of some hdd trouble, so keep a close eye on it.

What I've always done is enabled the clock backdoor (select-play-select-9-select), and if I turn the TV on and it's gone...you know you've had another reboot.

5. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    I downgraded to 3.1.5f and have not had a spontaneous reboot since!

6. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    In many ways like Coke Classic. I wish I could live without the very few advantages of 6.x, but I can't.

But totally apart from that, my reboot experience is that they group, I have no idea why. I have had Tivos and DTivos of all kinds go through multiple reboots, a lot of them, for a day or two, even a week, then not reboot (except as I have scheduled via cron) for months, with no intervention.

OTOH the few disk failures I've had (over many years of many, many units of my own and those of many aquaintances I've supported) were not particularly related to multiple reboots except in the final stages. Freezing video, horrible disk drive sounds, or a single incident of failure to boot out of the blue, these were the drive failure environments.

I would backup video to your home network then wait it out. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    losing 30 second skip is also a great way to determine a reboot

8. georgemoe

georgemoe TiVo Army Grunt

Nov 7, 2001
    Central...
    Had a spontaneous reboot myself yesterday during the recorded end of the NASCAR race. It had already fully recorded so no biggie.

But today the wife emails and says the HR10 no workie. Not sure what this means just yet. Maybe I have to force another reboot. :confused:

And last week my S1 w/LT bit it. Dreaded green screen. As far as I can tell, I have no working TIVO when I get home.

I will not add more D* hardware at this point since my service contract is up. I might have to jump to Comcast earlier than I was expecting.

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 13
    kpura

kpura New Member

Sep 28, 2001
    SF Bay...
    Hi All,

I am actually getting the exact same behavior with my HR10-250. My unit received a service download at 1:30 AM on 8/1, and ever since has been experiencing random reboots, and very slow performance. When I try to pull up my To Do List, the system just hangs, and there is a video glitch with the green DirecTV background that just freezes the floating text every few seconds. Is this any coincidence, or is my hard drive just finally calling it quits after 3 years. Ideas?

Thanks!

10. georgemoe

georgemoe TiVo Army Grunt

Nov 7, 2001
    Central...
    Update: Had to force a reboot by unplugging the HR10-250. Performance has been fine all week. So far. ;)

If you cannot get the HR10-250 to restart/reboot via the remote or front panel, I would just reach behind the right side of the unit and unplug it. Plug it back in after 15 seconds. Hopefully that helps.

11. nsdp

nsdp New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    hill...
    The random reboot problem is something Directv did that corrupted the boot sector kernel. This is the second time in 2 months I have had this happen and forensic analysis of the harddrives points the finger at Directv. Right now mine is stuck on welcome powering up. I would suggest a complaint be filed with the FCC if they don't get you fixed up.

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Huh? You're saying that DirecTV reached out a messed up disk boot sector kernels on selected HR10-250's? And why would they do this? Isn't it more likely that some of these DVRs just have defective hard drives? Hardly seems like something the FCC would care about. Just replace the hard drive, or contact DirecTV for a replacement (which will be an HR20 HD DVR).

13. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Could he have misspoke, and be referring to the guide data problem of a couple months ago that was causing reboots?

The "someone modified the season pass" problem has come back, perhaps the guide data problem has come back as well, perhaps they are related?

phox