Two Scheduled Recordings, but already watching live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by randymac88, Aug 14, 2007.

1. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004

Advertisements

So, I'm not really a noob in that I had an old series 1 box years ago, but just re-entered the TiVo world with the TiVoHD after abut 3 years on the crappy TWC DVR. Anyway, my first time with two tuners.

So, I'm watching the Mets game (live, but on a buffer). I get a notice that Tivo has to change the channels to record something on a Season Pass. My only options are 1) change the channel or 2) cancel the recording.

Well, quite frankly, I don't want to do either! What's going on with Tuner 2? It's recording a TiVo recommendation.

So I reluctantly push "change channel", it changes, I go to tuner 2, turn it back to the Mets, and the buffer is now gone, along with about 3 innings.

Am I missing something? Wouldn't this be a fairly easy software solution to be able to cancel a recording on either tuner in favor of the channel that I have selected to watch?

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, or if its been asked many times before. This community's input has been invaluable!

2. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Just a friendly word of caution before others give you the 10th degree.....Cross posting is generally very frowned upon in the forum. If you are not sure what forum to post in, or if you think you posted in the wrong forum, either delete your first post or ask a moderator to move it for you.

I only say this since I would like to spare you the pain of getting overly negative responses and given that you posted this topic 2 minutes earlier here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=362550

BTW, welcome to the forum and enjoy!!!!!!

3. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Thanks for the welcome jlb. I actually posted it in the coffee house before realizing that it would be better here than there. I went back to my old post in the coffee house with the intention of deleting it, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Believe it or not, i was more worried about being flamed for posting in the wrong area, not for cross posting. But the bottom line - sorry!

4. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    As to your question - TiVo never gives preference to suggestions. I often have been watching one channel when a recording starts and the only time I get a "Change channel or Cancel recording?" prompt is when a tuner suitable for the scheduled show is not available, either because the "other" tuner is already in use recording something (NOT a suggestion!) or because the scheduled show requires the cable box and the channel I am watching also uses the box.

From your description, I assume you are using a cable box, and you were both using the cable box to watch the Mets AND needed the cable box to record the Season Pass - hence the request to change or cancel. Another possibility is that your unit has not been updated to the current software (I don't know if the tuner allocation in older versions had this problem, but the DT units ship with "old" software - v7x vs v8x which is current.)

FWIW So far, I have been very impressed with the effectiveness of TiVo's tuner allocation algorithm. We have two DTs, one on a cable box and the other strictly on basic cable. With the exception of conflicts for the cable box or two simultaneous desired recordings, viewing of live TV is virtually unaffected by TiVo's recordings of anything.

5. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

You can delete a post by logging in, finding it on the thread and clicking on the "Edit" button at the bottom of the post. The very first box in the edit page allows you to delete the message by clicking on the "Delete message" radio button. However I'm not sure if it will work once the thread has been responded to. :confused: You may need to contact a moderator if not.

Good question BTW. :up: I know itÂ’s been addressed before, but the search feature is a bit cumbersome sometimes.