two roamios one keeps losing wifi connection have to restart

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by wpatters1229, Dec 17, 2020.

1. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California

Advertisements

I have two roamios that I purchase together. One is in the bedroom and one in our family room. Both work the same but the one in the bedroom keeps having to be restarted every day to get the wifi connection working. I have both Tivos using a 2.4 connection. The only other thing using that wifi is two laptops. One in the family room and my wife's in the bedroom. Both use the same wifi id.
    Is there a firmware update that may be the one Tivo got and the other did not? Is this an indication that one of the Tivos is going bad? Connecting via ethernet cable is not an option unless for diagnostic purposes. Could my wife's laptop also running a 2.4 connection be causing a problem? She does not lose connection...just the Tivo. The bedroom Tivo is only about 8 ft away from the Access point. There are a couple of walls between the AP and the Tivo but that should not cause the problem when her laptop in the same room does not have a problem.
    I was thinking of swapping Tivos to see if it followed the units. I could then say that it was the Tivo and not the environment.
    Any ideas would be great.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How is the wifi signal strength on both Tivos? What wifi channel on your router is it using?

The issue could be wifi interference, such as from Microwave, cordless landline phone/base, radio (keep at least 3 ft away.)

3. radtechy

radtechy Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Are you using the TiVo wireless adapters? I just had to reset mine today what a pain to get it to go into WPS mode

2.4 is a weaker band 5g is the way to go b/c it has better range etc if that’s possible

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamios have their own wifi and, i believe, the Tivo Wireless G adapter will not work.

5. radtechy

radtechy Member

Aug 16, 2008

Advertisements

Really? All the time I had my roamio I used an Ethernet cause it’s with the router. My wireless adapters are on my premiers.

To the OP....So then I would try the 5g band for sure or maybe get those outlet range extenders for 20 bucks and run an Ethernet cable from that to the TiVo and it will think it’s hardwired

6. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    I have 5g available on my AP. I have to have both tivos on the same speed/network so they can talk. Will try that but if that does not work then that idea of the electrical circuit connections is a good one. I use one of them for a connection to my solar adapter for seeing my panels and what they are doing. Works great.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's not true. Same network true. Same speed not true.

8. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    I have one wifi called Bill which runs at 2.4 and the other one called Bill-5 which runs at 5.0 If one is on 2.4 and the other at 5 with those names they do not see each other.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They should, if its from the same router.

10. radtechy

radtechy Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Some routers can combine all the networks and use the same network name and the router figures it out. I have a tri-band router (1) 2.4 and (2) 5g bands and I named everything different to limit the traffic to each band

11. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    I just changed my AP to do what they call smart selection for which speed is best. Both the 2.4 and 5 have the same SSID and security settings. Now the AP will decide which is best to use. All the devices presently are using 2.4. I did change the channel on the 2.4 to channel 4 just to see if that helps. Time will tell. What also is weird is that the one Tivo that is working fine shows it's name in the Attached Devices listing on the AP but the flaky one does not. It just shows unknown in place of the name. But both Tivos can see each other. ??? weird. I still think the one box needs a firmware blast!!

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should use channel 1, 6, or 11. I recommend channel 11 as that would have the least interference. Also make sure you have WPA2 enabled.

13. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    OK it was on 6 but you are right that 11 is least used. Made the change and the security I use is WPA2-PSK [AES] Seems plenty good for my environment.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I use Ch 11 and so does almost all my neighboring wifis, and WPA2-PSK and there is no inter-operability or interference between other wifis.

You know if you have interference when you have a good signal, but any traffic/speed drops.

15. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    Worked for a while but back to losing connection again. My laptop in the bedroom does not lose wifi connection. We have a smart tv and it sits right above on a shelf and never loses wifi connection. None of our other devices have this problem.
    Is there a usb wifi adapter that can be connected to the Tivo to over ride the internal wifi adapter?

16. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    No.

Try a WiFi Bridge.

Or, even better, make a wired connection.

-KP

17. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    I am going to try a powerline adapter kit. I already have such a kit going from my solar dashboard device to my router and it works great. This will be on the same outlet at the router end but a different remote connection by the tivo. From everything I have read, you can have multiple powerline adapters. Then this Tivo will be wired. I just think this Tivo has a crappy wireless adapter inside and with the Roamio it will not take using a USB wireless adapter. I have several of those and they always work great on laptops. Why does Tivo make everything so difficult?

kpeters59 likes this.
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just the opposite. 2.4 GHz has greater range, but is slower; 5 GHz has less range, but faster. But 2.4 GHz may have more competition from other devices, beyond just Wi-Fi clients.

https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5-GHz-wireless-frequencies

Unless everyone around him is taking the same advice. ;) What guarantees that channel 11 would have the least interference?

A Wi-Fi scan would tell you which channel has the weakest competition, at present.

What model Roamio's? Are they the same model?

You haven't said what content is being tuned, whether OTA antenna or cable (w/ CableCARD). Which? If antenna, does each unit have its own antenna or are they both connected via the home's coax to a single antenna elsewhere in, on, outside the home?

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What @kpeters59 suggested, try a Wi-Fi bridge (effectively the same, but bridging Wi-Fi to Ethernet ... so connected to the DVR's Ethernet port, rather than USB). No special configuration required on the DVR; it'll just see it as an Ethernet connection.

edit: p.s. For example:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  20. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    The two roamios were purchased at the same time. One has a 2t hhd and the other 500gig. I replaced the original 500g with the 2T drive since in the family room we record a lot of shows. The access point that is used for the wifi is about 8 ft away in another room. The family room Tivo is about 20 ft away from the AP. It never has a problem like the one in the bedroom. The way I get it back online is to reset the box. It used to work then for several days but now it only last about a few hours. Nothing has changed. The AP has both 2.4 and 5 hz running in a mode that allows the AP to use whichever is best. Right now both Tivos are set up to run 2.4. Other devices in the same area are all accessing the same AP and have no problems. That being said, it is logical that the Tivo has a problem internally with the wifi. A bridge is more money and the power adapters that I have used in the past are pretty solid. They sell for $37 on Amazon. I will see how that works next week. The Tivo box itself works fine otherwise. Question: Does the box have to communicate with a server at Tivo to perform some of its functions? Sometimes when we go to a show that we have recorded it will show the spinning circle like it is having trouble communicating. I always thought once it was recorded it was accessible instantly.
    One other thing. Is the wifi adapter a chip that connects to the mainboard with a ribbon cable? I know that is how most laptops are built. I might just open this bad boy up and see if a reseating of the cables could fix this problem. We used to do that in the old days since most connectors are not gold-coated hence they get corroded over time. We always reseated 7 times and if that did not work then we knew the part was probably bad and had to be replaced. We also used to run into silver migration problems between the tracks on cables.