Two Roamios - Different Locations - Different Behavior

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by michael1248, Aug 28, 2020.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002

Advertisements

I am running 2 Roamios in 2 separate locations, on two separate cable providers.

The one that is perplexing me is the one I am using with Spectrum...

Every now and then, while watching a channel, I will get the following message:

"This channel is not authorized. Contact your cable provider for more information. (V58).[​IMG]

After about 20 seconds, the channel will come back on and act normally. There is no rhyme of reason that I can figure out....

Attached Files:

Noelmel likes this.
  2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Go to the CableCard menu (Settings & Messages > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > CableCARD Decoder > CableCARD options (for installers) > CableCARD Menu)

Since you're on Spectrum/TWC, I'm assuming you probably have Cisco/SA equipment :

Go to SA CableCARD CA Screen and check that Status is Ready
    Go to DAVIC info, status should be Locked
    Go to CP Info, Auth Status should be "CP Auth Received"

Also, do you have a Tuning Adapter?

3. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Thanks for replying "Ihvetinari"

I don't have all the settings/screen that you are referring to.

I just posted on the Roamio Forum with another issue...I wonder if they are related.....

"Took advantage of an offer from my cable company (Spectrum) to upgrade my channel lineup for 30 days for free...

After checking out the new channels, I found that a lot of them did not tune in and I got the "Searching for Signal" message. I know that I have them, because I also am running a cable box that tunes every single (new) channel in perfectly. I also did the cold reboot, the repeat guided setup thing.

Just got off the telephone with TiVo support and got walked thru a whole bunch of diagnostics. They say it is a hardware problem and one of the chips is bad. The modulation was switching between 64 and 256 and there was no signal strength showing up on the channels that I wasn't receiving.

Just wondering if I am being "BSed," or if the TiVo guy was correct...."

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Do you have/need a tuning adapter for the new channels?

Scott

5. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002

Advertisements

Spectrum has never required a tuning adapter. It always worked fine.

With my now additional problem of not receiving some channels in the bigger channel lineup, the TiVo guy walked me to the diagnostic screen and we discovered that the channels I am not receiving were getting a 64 and 256 modulation (switching back and forth), as opposed to the solid 256 modulation that the good channels were receiving. That is why he thinks there is a hardware failure causing both problems.

6. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

I found the following which indicates they do require Tuning Adapters at least in some areas.

CableCARD™ Customer Support | Spectrum

And plenty of posts here about Spectrum users requiring Tuning Adapters?

Spectrum/Tuning Adapter

Perhaps a case where you did not need a TA for the channels that you normally get and watch but now you do require it.

Scott

krkaufman likes this.
  7. hizhonor

hizhonor Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Ferguson, MO
    I’ve been a Spectrum Customer in the St. Louis area for years.Tuning adapters have been required for many years when they rolled out their switched digital video scheme. Cable cards and tuning adapter are Motorola and not SA/CISCO here.

Your mileage will vary depending on location.

Steve

8. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    I am in Central Florida with Spectrum and we require tuning adapters here, we have the Cisco brand. We need tuning adapter for lots of channels. All HBO except for the main HBO east channel requires tuning adapter, tennis channel requires, Nat Geo Wild requires, ESPN News requires. Locals (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) don't require tuning adapter.

9. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    After reading everyone's comments, I decided to have Spectrum ship one to me. There are no stores in my area and a service call would have cost me $49. Shipping via Fedex was free.
    Are they difficult to set up?

10. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    2-way splitter before the TiVo with one output going to the TiVo and one output to the TA and then USB cable from the TA to the TiVo.

Scott

krkaufman likes this.
  11. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Hopefully, the three-way splitter that I am going to use (one for the free Spectrum box provided by the HOA) will not degrade my 98% overall signal strength.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Check the label on the splitter. You may find that one output has lower loss than the other two. (i.e. an unbalanced 3-way splitter vs balanced; 4/7/7 vs 6/6/6)

13. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Get a two way if the picture doesn’t look good or you have problems. Or just get one now and don’t worry about it.