1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two questions: Video, Reception

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DEC2955, May 11, 2018.

1. DEC2955

DEC2955 Member

May 3, 2009
    Kansas
    (1) I have a TIVO Roamio which has started "FLASHING" the video output, tried changing HDMI cables with no effect, the recordings when played through network do not display the video issue?? (other TIVO's connected to the same TV input do not "FLASH".)

(2) Since the interface update on a different Roamio, I have a number of channels which it will not tune in, which were working before the update, and yes I have run the antenna scan/setup. I have 3 TIVO's stacked (not on top of each other, but on shelfs) and I have tried to moving the RF cable from one TIVO to another which is receiving the channels to this unit and rerunning the scan and still it will not tune in the channel band?!? The main channel is my local 'CW' virtual channel 33-1 (VHF digital channel 12)

David

2. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    The "flash" might be a power surge that knocked a ding in your HDMI output. I had a power surge knock mine completely out. They're very sensitive in Tivos. The solution I found is to buy one of those composite out connectors from Tivo (3 bucks IIRC) that look like a headphone plug and use that as your output, bypassing the HDMI. Or get a new Tivo.

3. DEC2955

DEC2955 Member

May 3, 2009
    Kansas
    Since the power supply on the 'Roamio's is external.. not like the older devices ..don't see how that could be unless the power supply has or is going bad.. which if it is a power supply the I am out of luck, as that would mean that other electronics could also be damaged!

4. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    Surge didn't come from the power, it came from the cable connection.

5. DEC2955

DEC2955 Member

May 3, 2009
    Kansas
    While I only have a broadcast antenna attached and it is well grounded... this might explain why another Roamio had stopped receiving a select number of stations.

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Agree with your assessment, about external power supply.
    But I'm here to tell you that a power surge WILL take out a TiVo Roamio connected to an OTA antenna.
    This happened to me a while back. The surge hosed HDMI output of my TiVo XL4, Asus monitor, Samsun TV and my TiVo Roamio was completely dead.... but the wall wart power supply was still good.

HDMI convention sucks...

gigaquad likes this.