Two plus weeks for cable card, what can I do with tivo HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rileyrd, Jul 26, 2007.

1. rileyrd

rileyrd Member

Nov 16, 2006
    raleigh, nc

Advertisements

Help!

I purchased a new Tivo HD last night at CC here in Raleigh. Called TWC and they said they have multicards. Great. The bad news is that I can't get an install for two weeks.

My question is can I just plug in my standard analog cable like my S2DT and be able to use it like my S2 until I can get the cable cards. I believe that I can, but I don't want to activiate till I am sure since I am transferring my S2 contract.

Thanks for you help!

2. lombard

lombard Member

Dec 6, 2001
    BFE, USA
    You sure can. You'll just have to re-run guided setup after getting your cablecard installed. Until then, enjoy your new toy.

3. rileyrd

rileyrd Member

Nov 16, 2006
    raleigh, nc
    Thanks for the quick reply. For those looking the CC in North Raleigh had 4 left last night.

4. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    You did not mention if a truck roll was REQUIRED, so I ask...

Can you go by their office and pick-up the cable cards and install yourself??

I know some people here at TCF have been able to!

5. rileyrd

rileyrd Member

Nov 16, 2006
    raleigh, nc

Advertisements

In Raleigh, TWC does require a tech to install with a 42.75 charge. I just hope they were right about the m-cards.

6. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Buy an antenna and get your HD OTA until then.

7. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    You can manually tune to 5.1, 17.1, 113.1, and 113.4.

Or any of the QAM Physical channel #'s listed here: http://home1.gte.net/res18h39/channels.htm

You may have to perform a digital channel search first.

8. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    You can do this AND also hook up an antenna to the antenna input. You'll be able to record over-the-air HD and SD digital TV as well as analog TV from cable. (two programs from OTA, two cable, or one of each).

9. jhershauer

jhershauer New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ...
    I also picked one up at CC, and don't have my install date confirmed by Cox yet. I activated it last night and selected "Antenna Only" in the setup. I was able to watch/record HD OTA shows last night, and tested out the over-the-internet control from work today, remotely setting it to record Earl on NBC tonight...that seemed to work (Cool!).

I got a splitter today (for splitting the cable from the internet feed), so will try out the analog cable tonight as well. After installing the desktop software on one of our computers last night, I was able to play with the music/photo access. I also set up Amazon Unbox (haven't tried that yet).

So, there's definitely plenty of stuff you can do with it while you're waiting for your cablecards.