Two networked Series2's begin crashing . . .

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by OrthoStice, Jan 21, 2006.

1. OrthoStice

OrthoStice New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Desperately could use some help (in fact, registered just to be able to ask the question).

On MLK Day, out of the blue, my downstairs Tivo Series2 was frozen and would cycle through the start up menus after being unplugged but would not get back to the Now Playing screen.

Spent a long time on the phone with customer service, they told me that my unit was done. Since it was only 5 months old, their proposal of how much it would cost me to replace it was unacceptable. I also refused to believe that such a new unit could be completely shot. Mad and disappointed, I headed to my upstairs unit, which is a Pioneer/DVD burner/DVR, also networked to put additional season passes up there while figuring out what I was going to do about my lack of a downstairs Tivo.

That is when I realized that the upstairs unit was not working either and was also stuck at the "Just a few minutes more screen," based on the clock setting it had been frozen like that since 7am or so that day.

Ultimately, after several failed plugs and unplugs, I decided to try disconnecting both units from the network, they were networked using the Netgear adapters (and had worked fine networked with those adapters since September of last year or so.) Once they both were removed from the network, I then restarted the downstairs - it restarted just fine (the sight of the little Tivo character going through his animated antics was a cause of rejoicing). I then restarted the upstairs unit and it worked just fine.

They continued to work fine all week removed from the network. Today, I finally decided to try and hook the upstairs back to the network in order to make a call for programming information. The unit worked long enough to make the call and start loading the new progamming information, but within seconds of starting to load, and before I could disconnect it from the network, it turned off and then turned back on again. I quickly disconnected it from the network, and it cycled through the screens and started up just fine. But, it did not get the new programming information loaded, apparently as a result of the crash.

I tried one more time, and connecting it to the network that time caused it to freeze up before I could even get the Tivo to start the call.

As stated above, the adapters in use are the Netgear types -- the WG111s. We also have an old iBook connected by wire to the network and then we have two PC laptops that access the network through wireless cards.

Any of you exceedingly smart and tech-savvy folks have an idea of why I am having this problem and, more crucially, how I might figure out how to fix it? I really do not want to have to return to telephone lines.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. OrthoStice

OrthoStice New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Nobody has any ideas? Really? That does not seem like a very good sign. Just by way of an update, I was able this weekend to get one daily call out of each of the units one at a time by connecting one to the network, making the call, and disconnecting from the network immediately as soon as the call was completed and disconnected.

3. OrthoStice

OrthoStice New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Bumping one last time in the vain hope someone will have an idea . . .

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Could be a failing HDD.

5. DebnTexas

DebnTexas New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Just a guess - could your computer security be denying permission for the Tivo? When I first loaded McAffee, I got those pop-ups asking if TiVo was OK to get on the internet. But maybe that was related to TiVo desktop.

6. TommyTutone

TommyTutone New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't have an answer, but the same thing happened to me on Saturday after it working fine for four months. They are claiming it is a bad adapter, but you are the third or fourth person who has reported the same symptoms using the same wireless adapter. I am of the belief that they sent an update that suddenly made our adapters incompatible, but I of course cannot prove that, nor have they (or anyone) sent confirmation of that.

7. cbsmatt

cbsmatt New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Hi. I'm not a techie at all, but I can tell you that I had a similar problem using the same model Netgear adapter. Everything worked fine for 6 months and then went crazy. I have since replaced with a Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 and have had no problems since. I'd suggest ditching the Netgear adapters.

8. Feb 1, 2006 #8 of 10
    dnthewind

dnthewind New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Just adding myself to the thread - Thanks to Tommy for raising this possibility to me. My situation: netgear adapter (wired via usb) worked fine for 6-9 months, but on Saturday the tivo froze, tried rebooting, and cycles through the "restarting", "just a few more minutes..." and green "tivo has encountered a serious problem" screen. Customer support advised me that the HD was shot and to get a new/refurb box. I have done so.

Of course, now I see TommyTuTone's post. The new one is set up with the same adapter and scheduled to restart tonight with the software update. I'll let you guys know how it works out tomorrow...

9. Feb 3, 2006 #9 of 10
    OrthoStice

OrthoStice New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Thanks Tommy. I think you are right about this. It has to be an update issue. Dnthewind, I look forward to hearing what happens next with you.

I have been able again to very quickly plug the upstair Tivo into the network and make a call to get program data updated through Feb. 16. But cannot get it to do that downstairs again and had to plug the downstairs into the phone jack and make a call last night to get the program data.

I don't really want to have to go buy new adapters, but, at least that is a possibility to try.

Here I thought Tivo was supposed to free up time for its owners.

:mad:

10. dnthewind

dnthewind New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Ok - my saga continues... My adapter is a Belkin (no model number on it). The new tivo seems to work perfectly fine with it. It connected via phone for set-upi then via network during the 1st night, and downloaded the latest software version. Next night it restarted itself (presumably for the software update) and has connected at least 1-2 times so far (my online scheduling requests are there.

BUT now I have a new issue. When the new tivo was 1st hooked up I got terrble audio. Sometimes no souond at all followed by screehing as the audio kicked on and off. Also "crackling" coming from my speakers. I thought maybe loose connections so I fiddled with things and it went away. But yesterday during the day it came back, ruining my wife's recordings during the day. Support suggested it be the speaker placement. Made sense (I can't believe I was dumb enough to have the subwoofer that close, but alas). It didn't help at first but did go away after 5-10 minutes and I am hoping not to have to return the unit. So, I moved everything around in my entertainment system. When the tivo fired back up the problem was happening again. We left the house for an hour and the audio was normal when we came home and has been since... Keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone else had interference like that? Or do you guys think its a defective unit? huh, huh... defective unit, yeah.