two identical roamios and one keeps losing wifi connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wpatters1229, Dec 13, 2019.

1. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    I have two roamio tivos. One with a 500 gig dr and the other with a 2 terra byte drive. Both have been working fine. Now on occassion the one with the big drive can't connect to the wifi. C218 error. After reboot it works fine for a few weeks.
    Can I switch units from one location to the other and also switch the hard drives without losing any settings or information? I understand that everything is on the hard drives and not stored in the chips on the motherboard. Naturally they would both have the same software release.. 20.7.4b

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The hard drive content is coded for a certain TiVo, so you can't switch hard drive or you will lose everything. You can move the boxes without problems. Access of content is simple between the drives. The bottom entry in My Shows is the other TiVo. From there you can watch the content. The internal wireless on a Roamio is pretty bad. What model is your router?

You're not using Standby or power saving, right?

ThAbtO likes this.
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are losing wifi connections, check your router/gateway's wireless channel. DO NOT Use AUTO.... For N/G/B, use Channel 11.... For 5G/A, there are a lot more channels then for N/G/B.

Most often, you lose the connections due to interference in the Wifi. It can happen on just 1 or 2 and not all wireless devices.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  5. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    That was the answer I was looking for...each tivo is unique so switching units is not possible. One is in the bedroom and the other in the family room but both access the same access point which is relatively the same distance from each. The only thing that is weird is that after it loses connection it can't seem to re-establish a connection. The first step works but takes a while to perform and then the second step fails. The only way to fix it is a re-boot. Something is getting corrupted in the network software and is unique to just one tivo...the one with the big drive and has most of our programming and recordings. The other one in the bedroom works flawlessly and goes through the network steps very quickly.
    Switching locations would not be an option.
    I am waiting to see if changing the MTU to 1400 and going with a 5G connection instead of 2.4 fixes the problem. The setup for the access pt is not auto but a fixed channel for each.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    So you're saying they are not identical? :) I have two Roamio on TE3 and one is wired and one uses a wireless bridge. While I never have disconnect problems anymore, the HDCP discovery process on a Roamio is not very robust. It used to be much worse. My MTU is set to 1500. There's a post: Solved 20 month long problem, no help from Tivo that has a test for MTU. Good luck.

7. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    After changing to my 5 gig network from 2.4 it seems to work just fine and goes through the steps quickly. Not sure if the adapter got a wakeup call or what. We will see as time will tell.