Two HD DVR's with One HDTV???

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cobra5wood, Feb 21, 2008.

1. cobra5wood

cobra5wood New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    St....

Advertisements

I just had my Directv service upgraded to the new MPEG-4 gear. Can I spilt the two cables running into my family room into four so that I can use both my new HR21-200 and my old HR10-250 with the same TV? I prefer not to run two more lines into that room.

2. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    No, unfortunatley you will need to have 4 lines run to the TV set, unless you are able to get your hands on a SWM (Single Wire Multi-switch)

3. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand the question but you can do this with a multiswitch right ? Not sure why Jim says no.

I have two lines coming into my room, then in the room is a multiswitch which converts it into 16 ouputs driving 6 systems with 2 wires each.

4. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Jim IS correct - it will NOT work if you are using the 5LNB HD dish & WB68 switch - you MUST have all 4 lines run from the dish into that switch to make it work.

But OTOH, if he only needed 4 feeds, he could just run a 2nd coax pair to the 5LNB dish & not even need a switch.

5. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio

Advertisements

He didnt mention a multiswitch, so I thought he was just talking about using a coax splitter which will not work. A multiswitch will as you pointed out.

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    A multiswitch that takes only two lines in will only see the 101 satellite which does not have the HD programming on it. You must feed four lines to the room to use all 4 tuners with HD content.

7. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I had to run 4 lines and it is worth it to have both DVRs.

8. BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    I agree with the four line answer. Additionally, while you are at it run another line for OTA and possibly another line just in case. I have four areas in my house that have the 4+1 setup and that allows me to put a WB68 or WB616 so that I can have up to 8 DVRs in each area.

Yes, I know its overkill but the flexibility has been great to be able to move equipment from one of the four areas to the other without a big hassle.

Hope this helps,
    BigBearf

9. Cruzan

Cruzan New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA
    If you can get both, do it. I have an HR-21 and a HR-10 and it's a nice combo. I record all the things I really want to see on the Tivo (because it's reliable and it has wishlists) but I spend a lot of time on the HR-21 (because it's tuned for watching live TV, and there's so much more HD.) Both have their strengths - if I only had 1 it will be the tivo though.

10. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I have the same setup. Had to run 4 cables down to both dvr's.