Two DirecTV SD-DVR40s Free to anyone who wants.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by westsail42, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1 of 12
    westsail42

westsail42 New Member

Dec 7, 2011
    I hope this does not qualify as spam to the admins.

This forum has saved us with our original DirecTV SD-DVR40s when they had power supply issues, and expanded the disk capacity of one unit and installed the hacked/unlocked version of TiVo. This forum has been really great.

Well we have moved to comcast cable (ack! I know! I hate their DVR, but there were other factors motivating this). So these units are of no use to us.

I am not even going to try and sell them.

But I figure they may be of use to some people wanting parts. So we are giving them away free. You just pay the shipping.

One unit has extra capacity hard drives (two) and had new capacitors replaced on the PSU.
    I only have one remote.

Send me a PM.

-rob

2. Dec 7, 2011 #2 of 12
    atrvlr1420

atrvlr1420 New Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Hi Rob,
    My Hughes directv Tivo just died and they have replaced it with a generic. I would certainly appreciate being able to get back to Tivo. I'm not able to repair and don't need parts, do either one of these work? If they work, I would be glad to pay the shipping. Let me know. Thanks Anita

3. Dec 8, 2011 #3 of 12
    westsail42

westsail42 New Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Yes, one is setup and ready to go. It has larger capacity hard drives and the unlocked Tivo software and features.

I feel I must say the following as a disclaimer:

I installed a public domain version of Tivo 'Unleashed'.

In order to get it to work on your account, my understanding is that you would have to call DirecTV to pair your access card with the unit's serial number. I have never done this (it was the original box setup with my account). Maybe someone on the forum here can enlighten.

Also, I never had the box "phone home" so, no updates/info from DirecTV have been installed (it was not recommended with this version of Tivo software). If it were to phone home, I am not sure what would happen.

In the last year or two of ownership, the grid guide filtering started acting wierd. I suspect this is due to DirecTV having tweaked their guide data over the satellite. Wasnt a problem, just a little annoying.

Otherwise, it has worked great. The expanded disk capacity is very nice.

The other unit, which I got from a friend, appears to work and boots/powers up just fine. It has the original software and has no hardware mods. Standard recording capacity. I never paired it with my access card and thus cannot vouch for the dish/tuner's operability.

Just to be clear, both of these are the original Hughes SD-DVR40s.

Both are yours if you want them.

Let me know.
    -rob

4. westsail42

westsail42 New Member

Dec 7, 2011
    No real bites on this yet.

I will be taking these to the electronics recycler in a few days unless someone wants them.

PM me within a few days.

5. iceturkee

iceturkee Member

May 26, 2005

just an fyi, both units would need new access cards from directv. not sure if they are still allowing customers to put on their accounts or not.

that said, i did send you a pm. thanks.

6. ss_sea_ya

ss_sea_ya New Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    hmm, I might be interested in one just for the unlocked version of TiVo on the hard drive.

Do you know if it work in an HDVR2 (with C&D everything, of course)? I may just want to install the hard drive in it and fire up from there. What size drive is it?
    Thanks.

7. rdukes412

rdukes412 New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Did you get rid of these yet? We just replaced our hard drive in our unit thinking it was bad but in reality we need a power supply. . . .

8. kenr

kenr New Member

Dec 26, 1999
    Florham...
    I'd also be interested in these units.

9. Jan 3, 2012 #9 of 12
    westsail42

westsail42 New Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Sorry, I haven checked the forum over the holidays.

The units are still available.

The hacked one has a repaired power supply, Tivo 'Unleashed' and 400GB hard drive. Was working fine when we disconnected it. It has the remote.

The other one is a standard DVR-40. It boots fine, but I have never connected it to my account. It was bought at a garage sale for parts (primarily the power supply). It does not have the remote.

Free for the cost of S&H to anyone who wants them.

I have a couple PMs waiting for a response, but if I dont hear anything in the next coupe days, whoever pms me next can have them.

Disclaimer, if you wish to use the units for your directtv account (rather than for parts), you need to call DirectTV to pair your account smart card with the S/N of the unit. Putting the smart card in the tuner alone will not be enough to tune DirectTV.

10. ss_sea_ya

ss_sea_ya New Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    What city are you located in?

11. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    There may be a new use for these things. When my Slingbox SOLO died due to the cheap capacitors used in its construction and Sling Media's customer service was useless I bought a Vulkano Flow which is a competitor. It worked pretty well and has built-in Wireless-N where the slingbox required a hardwire.

I've got my old Series 1 hooked up to it with basic cable and got the Ipad and Iphone App (one app works on both). The mobile app worked so well and uses very little bandwidth because it uses x264 codec and AAC audio.

Long story short the Vulkano utility has ressurrected old tech making it very useful again. The resolution is limited to 720x480 but that's as good as the old Tivos can do anyway. It looks awesome on the Ipad and it works with 3g data if that's all you have.

My DVR-80 isn't subscribed with DirectTV but if it was it would really make an ideal source for slinging everything to anywhere I might want to go.

My old Tivo is in a closet with the Vulkano Flow on top but I can control it from the PC or in the airport with the Ipad. The same app works on the iPhone fantastically. Very simple and useful for the purpose.

So, just sharing my idea for a new use for these things since they really are a nice piece of old tech. I watched the Broncos/Steelers 4th quarter and overtime while waiting in the airport live and what a fantastic finish. Might be worth another $99 for the Vulkano if you want to use your old Tivo a little longer.

12. Midnite321

Midnite321 New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Westsail ... I am most interested and would take both from you or just one if they are still available please message me with a way to contact you as I can not PM you till my post count goes up ...

Thanks
    Midnite