Two Bolts and One Mini - How to kill the internet

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by lafos, Nov 9, 2018.

1. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I recently added a Mini Vox to my two Bolts and three Premieres, as I needed something small and quiet in the bedroom. One Bolt is on TE3 and the other is on TE4. I started the mini on the TE4 Bolt and used the MoCa bridge on the Bolt to feed the Mini.

Decided that text was too small in the bedroom even with a 37" TV, so I switched the Mini to the TE3 Bolt. After the Mini downgraded, I began to have internet connectivity issues. The cable modem was getting signal, but the router was dropping internet frequently. After a couple of calls with Midco cable, and resetting the router (and even changing from a Google router to a Linksys Velop), I had to face the fact that the problem was in my network.

I started with everything disconnected and added rooms back in, and sure enough, there was a problem when both Bolts were on the LAN. Both were set up as MoCa-ethernet bridges, though I don't recall setting them up that way. Once I disabled the MoCa bridge on the TE4 Bolt (the one no longer feeding the Mini), all was well again.

I couldn't find anything on the forums about this, and whether setting up a different Bolt for a Mini could also change the bridge setting. Or perhaps it was a senior moment?

I can say that having two units serving as a bridge is not a good thing.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, having multiple MoCA/Ethernet bridges between the same segments is a bad thing, as you've found.

And you don't have to intentionally configure a DVR as a MoCA Bridge to create the problem; having a DVR configured as a MoCA client and then just connecting the DVR via Ethernet to the router LAN is sufficient to create a duplicate MoCA/Ethernet bridge and bring your network to its knees.

I'm not sure what the highlighted text means, but all you need to do for any TiVo box part of a whole home setup is just get it connected to the home network, via Ethernet or MoCA (officially). Once networked, a Mini can select which DVR it wishes to use as its host DVR -- either as part of its guided setup or via the "Host DVR Configuration" menu option (somewhere under Settings / Devices ?).

That said, for any TiVo boxes to connect as MoCA clients, there must be a single device acting as the bridge (aka MoCA access point) between the MoCA/coax segment and the router's Ethernet LAN.

3. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The highlighted text was sort of a question. If Bolt A is the MoCa bridge and also supplies the tuner for the Mini, and then change Bolt B to be the tuner server to the Mini, could that automatically enable Bolt B as the bridge? Or did I do it myself? When I changed the Mini to point to Bolt B, I did not change the MoCa settings as far as I can recall.

My first exposure to MoCa, so there is more to learn, I'm sure.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Reconfiguring the Mini’s host DVR has no effect on any other setting. You must have configured both BOLTs to be MoCA bridges.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If you have a MoCA capable TiVo configured as a MoCA Client and then plug in the Ethernet Cable too, it will switch to MoCA+Ethernet automagically.

-KP

6. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Provided the MoCA capable TiVo is not a Mini, which (sadly) cannot act as a MoCA bridge.