Two and a Half Men: Season Nine Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1 of 76
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    [housekeeping note: This is a show that rarely has any threads. But with all the Charlie Sheen/Ashton Kutcher controversy, we need a place for ongoing TCF-TV discussion. Note that there are already threads for Eps 1 and Eps 2.]

Watched episode 3 last night "Big Girls Don't Throw Food". There were moments of old-time 2.5Men humor. But for the most part, I'm not feeling it. The Walden Schmidt character just isn't funny. He's childish, but there's no humor in that. (food fight? seriously?) And they are wasting Judy Greer.

I'll hang in there for a few more episodes, but unless something changes...

2. Oct 4, 2011 #2 of 76
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    This ep was a TINY step up from 1 and 2 eps, but not by much.

Still not feeling the love either for Kutcher's character.

3. Oct 4, 2011 #3 of 76
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I said last week I'd give it 1 more chance and after last night's episode, I'm sorry to say I'm out. I used to love the show but I just can't stand Kelso/Ashton. There is more I don't like, but his character (or lack thereof) is the main reason.

Sorry for the threadcrap.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #4 of 76
    retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    No need to apologize, as far as I'm concerned. I've always watched the show. I liked it a lot. I don't even really dislike Ashton. But at this point, he's truly doing nothing for me either. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to justify hanging on at this rate. There were a thousand different ways they could have had Allan and Jake staying at the house, but the one they chose was just kind of stupid and without much entertainment value.

There is a strong chance, at this point, that the chemistry is just no longer there. :(

5. Oct 4, 2011 #5 of 76
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I still plan to give the show like 5 episodes total before giving up. I really don't like the Kelso character. Him being a "child" is such a change from what Charlie was. When he slept with the 2 girls the first episode, I figured that meant he would become another Charlie. Disappointed to see him just being a big baby.

6. Oct 4, 2011 #6 of 76
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    That's another point...we are suppose to believe that he is so heart broken about not being with her and that's all that he can think of yet in the first episode, after just being kicked ,he has a 3some and then whatever he did with Alan's ex. Pick a side and get off the fence.

7. Oct 4, 2011 #7 of 76
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Done with this show. When the only chuckles (and two minor ones at that) come from Jake comments, you KNOW it's bad...

8. Oct 4, 2011 #8 of 76
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think it was a slight step down.. but still funny. I liked the references to Charlie.

9. Oct 4, 2011 #9 of 76
    2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I was never a huge 2.5 men fan in the first place. I actually think Ashton K is OK. I'm not a hater in any way.

But....this show is pretty bad now. There's no conflicts with any other show so I'll keep DVR'ing it but it's really not good.

10. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    SP gone.

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I think part of what made it funny was the total opposite nature of the Alan/Charlie pairing. The Alan/Walden pairing seems a lot more like they are the same character. There's no playing off each other when they are both like they are.

SP deleted and I've been watching from the beginning and enjoying it. I just don't enjoy it at all any more.

12. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Based on the first episode, I figured that Kelso would view things like Alan saved his life. Kelso was suicidal and Alan cheered him up and he ended the night in a threesome. I figured Kelso would feel obliged to let Alan and his son live with him. Maybe wouldn't especially like them being there, but felt like he owed his life to him.

So, after the first episode, I figured we'd have about the same show. I just don't know why they decided to make Kelso so different from Charlie. I keep watching every week to see Kelso become something different, but he ends up in a food fight with a little girl.

13. chocophile

chocophile New Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Let's face it, for the last couple of seasons, the show devolved into endless variations on the same 3 jokes. Ep. 3 was a step in the right direction, but it's got a long way to go to regain its standing. I'm still hoping that the show will eventually hit its stride with Ashton. I'm giving it time to get through the awkward character development phase.

14. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I'll dissent, I guess. I was growing really weary of Charlie last season. I've seen all the seasons (played catchup a couple years ago.)

Honestly, I think this Ashton thing could work. It's funny seeing the backbone of the show, Alan, having to be the grown up.

It's not ha ha ha funny, but I do enjoy it.

15. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    My take is Jake has been promoted to man, and Kutcher is the new half man.

16. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    This. If you notice at the open, Kutcher is now in the position that Jake used to occupy at the top of the pyramid. Of course, that may be due to his height, but it have may a double meaning as well.

17. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched last night's episode and I can see glimmer of hope. They seem to be slowly moving towards what I thought the show would be.

18. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Was that Jenny McCarthy on last nights episode?

19. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Yes. Yes, it was.

20. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Her character dated Charlie, right? I seem to remember her being on the first episode of this season at the funeral.