Twilight Zone (General Conversation)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ADG, May 16, 2019.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I know people are raving about the show and it's already been picked up for season two, but I don't get it. I've watched every episode so far in the hope the next one would be better than the last, but so far this is the worst crap I've ever seen. Rod Serling must be spinning in his grave.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  2. jasrub

jasrub Member

May 9, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yep, I started the latest episode, and got about 15 minutes into it, stopped it and deleted my sp..

3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I haven't even checked out this new version. They (somebody - don't know who) did it in the 80s too, IIRC, and I did see some of those episodes. Every one I saw was lame. The Serling show was just way too good. I also loved Night Gallery and some of the other such shows from way back then.

I think I would be shocked if anybody replicated any of those shows, at this point, and they were anywhere near as great as the originals.

4. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
  5. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I watched the first episode and thought it was 'ok'.

I then watched the second episode (the remake of the original series' 'nightmare at 20,000' feet), and though it was horrible.

Not bothering with any more.

I did like the Outer Limits revival of late 90s.

jasrub likes this.
  6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I haven't watched any of the current revival.. but did you naysayers like the previous two revival shows? I thought they were both good. (The 80s one probably better than the 2000s one.)

I also liked the orig Amazing Stories and other anthology shows like this.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm watching but it doesn't feel like the Twilight Zone to me.
    It feels more like the 90's Outer Limits or Creepshow to me.

I'm also finding some of the writing very heavy handed (and I agree with the points being made) but I'm not inclined to stop watching yet.

8. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I thought the 80s Twilight Zone was great. And my favorite episode from that incarnation was “Shadowman”.

I was going to get a free trial of CBSAA just for this but the reception made me pause. Maybe I’ll go for it when I have more time and cleared my backlog of tv shows.

9. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Are people raving about it? I think most of the comments here (in this and previous threads) have been lukewarm to negative. Maybe they're raving about it on Reddit.

I thought the first ep was mediocre at best, the second ok at best, and the third so very very bad that I wasn't interested in the fourth.

10. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    The critics seem to be, yes.

11. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I've watched thru episode 6 (Six Degrees of Freedom). I thought the first was OK, enough so to watch further.
    I didn't like the remake of Nightmare at 30000 Feet.
    Replay was OK, but too long. Point made and then very repetitive.
    The Traveler was fair but also too long.
    The Underkind was horrible. I'm not sure why I watched beyond it but the next one was again OK.

Overall just fair but I think suffering from each being too long and drawn out.

I'll probably watch the rest when I have nothing else to watch.

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The two critic reviews I read were lukewarm about the show.

The only ones that seem to be raving about the show are the CBS executives who renewed it for another season already.

13. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    We watched the first 4 a couple weeks ago and haven't gone back to it yet. We probably will this weekend. We think they are too long. I think 30 mins or so is just right. If some how we don't get around to it before our free 3 months are up we won't really miss it either.

14. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I enjoyed them — not as much as I enjoyed the earlier remake, Outer Limits remake, and Black Mirror. I do agree that they could be 30 minutes long.

15. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, I'm not feeling it. The episodes seem to start great, then I get lost quickly and it becomes a mess. At least I understood some of the storylines, others like Point of Origin quickly deteriorated into a mess.

I look forward to the episodes, but still, it's been hit or miss. I think the one I enjoyed the most was Nightmare at 30,000 feet.

16. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    For anyone still watching, I thought the last episode was the best one of the season.

17. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Honestly they feel like Twilight Zone episodes to me. Like if CBS just found some unused scripts from the 60's and they just made them, it feels pretty dead on in terms of tone (maybe other than the White cop chasing the black college kid and his mom). I don't know what people were expecting, I'm getting exactly what I expected. I never thought Twilight Zone was great, I like and prefer Black Mirror better, but these episodes are exactly what I expected. I think some people hold TZ to a higher standard, especially people that maybe watched the originals when they were new, but they're run off the mill TZ to me with current actors and production.
    If TZ was cancelled I wouldn't cry about it, but I like having a show that I can just watch without having to worry about seasonal continuity. One and done episodes.

getbak, Beryl and realityboy like this.
  18. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Blurryman was an interesting episode. It's definitely an interesting meta-episode

realityboy likes this.
  19. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    That is SO funny.
    I loved the entire series - BUT - I thought the last episode was the WORST of the season.

20. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    And what I think is funny is that you enjoyed the entire season ;)