TWC uses 2 cards instead of the M-card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by chelman, May 18, 2011.

1. chelman

chelman Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Southern...
    Some of you may warn me about getting the Premiere, but It just made $ sense to get rid of my TWC Motorola HD DVR @ 19.95 per mo and get the Premiere. What is irritating is that TWC tech support in Orange County, CA warned me that they'd try to get an M-card, but I may have to end using 2 single cards! I even suggested to use the m-card from the Motorola for the Tivo. The answer was no. I think they just are up to charge more for the two cards instead of doing the right thing.

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    They can't use the M-card from a cable box as they are authorized differently. And most likely the installer will not even have access to S-cards so I wouldn't worry about it to much.

3. chelman

chelman Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Southern...
    How about the tuning adaptor? Will I need one?

4. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Depends on if they use SDV. Also, you CAN'T use 2 cable cards with the Premiere. It will ONLY take an M card. Even just one S card won't work.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Cable companies are only allowed to offer M-cards to customers unless they specifically request a S-card (FCC regulations) and since it's been a few years since S-cards have even been manufactured, it shouldn't be a problem.

6. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    TWC in OC? You're going to want a TA if you want any good channels. :p

7. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    TWC only has M cards these days. Also, as pointed out the Premiere only has one slot so you couldn't fit 2 cards even if that would work.

You probably will need a Tuning adapter, TWC in So Cal has converted most areas to use SDV for some channels.