TWC & Tuning Adapter Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by KungFuCow, Aug 21, 2011.

1. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    I wanted to post this and see if anyone else is having a similar issue.

Last Sunday, for no reason, during the UFC special, the video on my Tivo just froze. When I switched to the second tuner to check the channel, no matter what channel I go to, I get "Searching for signal on this cable channel."

Well, I called TWC and the guy at the cable card help desk said he couldnt ping my tuning adapter, it must be bad and I should go swap it out. Next day, I run out at lunch and swap the tuning adapter. That night I hook the new one up,same thing. Call TWC back, they reset the tuning adapter and my video comes up and Im all happy. Next day, back to "Searching for cable signal on this channel."

So.. I called TWC again and they tell me it has to be my signal and the signal level is too low to work with the tuning adapter. So this morning a tech comes up and yea, my signal is low but its not THAT low. But Im back to not being able to get any video with the tuning adapter in the loop.

HOWEVER.. once you unplug the USB cable from the TA,even with the TA in the loop, you get video. That kind of shoots down the whole "running it through the TA degrades the signal too far" aspect of things since my Tivo can tune it fine and its on the other side of the TA.

Im wondering if a recent firmware update from either TWC or Tivo is causing this issue.With the TA out or disconnected, I can get all the non SDV channels. As soon as I put that TA back in the loop, I cant even get a channel guide. Instead I end up with "Tivo can find no channels you are authorized for."

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, it does confirm the problem is the tuning adapter. And the problem isn't necessarily that a low signal degrades the signal quality but a low signal can cause the TA to not function correctly (perhaps they aren't very fault tolerant). Either way, TW should find the issue with the TA (signal quality or not).

3. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Theyre going to come out in another week and rewire all my outlets. They kept me waiting 8 days to get out here today and tell me virtually nothing.

Guess Ill wait it out and see what they come up with but I feel pretty confident this is a software/firmware issue and not a signal issue. Guy told me this morning he just left another house with a Tivo doing the EXACT same thing.

4. Beernutts

Beernutts New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Motorola or Cisco TA?

5. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Cisco

6. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Three of the last four Cisco tuning adapters to enter my home failed to work. One I picked-up at the store and the last three were brought by techs during a couple of truck rolls. One of the adapters that failed to work was fresh out of the box from Cisco.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's most likely an incompatibility between the TA firmware and the local headend.

8. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Well, I have a TA in the basement on my Moxi and it works fine. Maybe I should move that out of the basement and see how it works with the Tivo. Its an OLD TA.. Ive had it over a year.

9. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Same is happening on my end ever since the TA was "forced" on me two years ago... Pryor to the TA I had few issues with the Tivo

10. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Are you a TWC customer?

They promised me someone would be out here to rewire the drops before now an d of course, no call from anyone. TWC has the worst customer service on the planet. I guess someone will be out tomorrow to rewire the drops unless they cancel again.

11. emmjay28

emmjay28 New Member

Dec 4, 2010
    I have the Cisco TA also, TWC in So Cali, and since the TiVo update, I'm getting the same lost channel issue. Signal strength is fine, but channels keep disappearing from my lineup with the message to contact TWC. Then miraculously, the channels come back after flipping around for a little while. So before the firmware, my TiVo locked and rebooted 4-5 times a day, now with the patch I'm missing channels. Lame.

12. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Yes, here in Indy... What it appears, is the tuner drops the signal to the Tivo... Thus the Tivo can't process any dropped signal it gets.

What Tivo suggested is to introduce a signal booster... I have tried to get BrightHouse to place a booster at the box. Each time they were here an tested the signal they sad it was good as it could be.

It's a shame we are forced to pay for a service that is sub par, be it cable or the Tivo.

13. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Well, I had an amp placed on my line and it didnt make any difference.

My stuff is working again.. TWC came out and rewired every drop in my house. Ive had it drop out a couple of times but it seems to work more than it doesnt which is more than I could say before.

14. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    "IMO" BrightHouse should abide by my request to add an booster if they want my business that is...

Fact that I must spend $80 to solve this issue doesn't set well with me... IMHO

15. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Send me a box with some postage and Ill send you my amp. It was only on my line for a week and they just left it here.

16. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Dang, wish I'd known that a few hours ago, bought one at Best Buy an problem solved, for now

17. Ruefrex

Ruefrex New Member

May 6, 2011
    Sigh.

I just got a Tivo because I despise the TWC DVR with the fiery breath of a thousand suns. Got the cablecard initialized, the stupid tuning adapter (Motorola, of course, my hated enemy) is supposed to be working and -- surprise! -- isn't. No SDV channels. So they're sending a dude out -- next Thursday. The signal strength, via the Tivo, is 88, which I'm guessing is okay? I do worry a bit because I have ginormous power lines right out my north-facing window (which is why I was forced to abandon my beloved Dish and get horrid TWC to begin with).

I was not stupid enough to return the DVR before I got all of this set up.

I'm really rethinking the Tivo thing, though, if that TA is going to be nothing but trouble. I haven't activated the Tivo service yet either, because I was afraid I'd have to return it.

This whole SDV thing is SUCH a freaking scam. But at least I know how to use Bittorrent and if I didn't need a few sports channels, I'd just be done with cable altogether. At least until I could get my satellite back.

18. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Tivo claims an incomin sig strnght is acceptaable at 82%

THERE have been times mine drops to 70%

19. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Call the cable card help desk at TWC and see if they can get it going. You have to take the installers with a grain of salt. Most of them dont know a cable card from a greeting card.

20. Joey Bagadonuts

Joey Bagadonuts New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Have to call BS on this (not on the poster, on TWC)! :mad: TiVo and cable cards have been around for how long now? And yet Time Warner is still feigning ignorance to the application/installation of cable and/or M cards? Please. This is nothing more than an on-going ploy on TWC's part to make it as difficult as possible for TiVo customers to bypass the cable box as well as purchasing a DVR other than TWC's. The second I have a viable alternative to TWC (and no, I don't consider U-Verse as viable), I'll be canceling my TWC service. That's a phone call I cannot wait to make.