TWC trying to fix CBS with giveaways

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jhilla, Aug 23, 2013.

1. jhilla

jhilla Guest

May 13, 2011

Advertisements

Just read this on Cnet -- TWC will be doing a giveaway to those without CBS.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-5...ble-offers-antenna-to-customers-who-want-cbs/

No impact to me sort eh, our CBS is still good on Brighthouse but not on cbs.com, but majority of content is available for us on HuluPlus

http://www.hulu.com/companies/cbs

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I got the email from them

All worthless.

A Starz channel in stretched SD. Lame

A free pay per view/on demand movie? meh

An antenna? Actually useful. But probably one that won't work well for me.

I just want CBS.

3. jhilla

jhilla Guest

May 13, 2011
    The antenna deal is worth $20 dollars if your site does not have one available you are issued a gift card to the nearest BestBuy to obtain one.

To see if you qualify, contact your local TWC/Brighthouse office. If you use the VOIP hit *611.

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    My starsHD channel 835 says it 1080i

(but it just shows crap movies)

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

I'm assuming they're only offering the antenna to TWC customers in the areas where the CBS station is an O&O, and not markets like mine where it's only affiliated with CBS but not owned by them.

But I bet we're helping to pay for those antenna gift cards.

6. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    I don't care about cbs proper now, but I do want my local CH 9 kcal, for the Dodger games they show. :( Once the new season starts, than I will miss it dearly.

7. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I want my MTV!!!

Arghh

Antenna doesn't give me that

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    How many customers will find that the antenna works great and drop cable TV?

9. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    If anything this is showing me how great my local channels look on my 46 inch HD using my cheap indoor antenna, much clearer than T.W. ( I'm about 4 miles from the HD towers here in Dallas).

Not ready to cut the cord just yet, but this brought me closer.

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Are DirecTV and Dish doing any special marketing to the people affected? Seems like a golden opportunity for them.

Won't Cable Companies just implement an Aereo like solution and be done with this mess? Seems like that would be a much easier solution. They can just pass the cost along to customers. No negotiations necessary.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My take is if your local OTA broadcast channels want to charge this much ($2/channel) then all Pay TV providers should be able to offer you a package without the OTA channels at a reduced cost and the consumer can decide to pay or get the programing via antenna.

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    The antenna may get me CBS so I can watch football and 2 Broke Girls, but it's not gonna get me Breaking Bad or Mad Men.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Of course if you drop cable you can put the money toward getting the fastest possible internet in your area and get those shows "via other means".

Or so I hear.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Forget about "other means". You can get these shows on Amazon with little fuss for $3(HD) an episode. This is perfectly acceptable to a lot of people out there. $12 per month (for four episodes) vs $100+ for cable. The majority of people are only watching a REALLY small amount of what is on cable. It's cheaper in many cases to just buy the shows you want even if $3 per episode seems a little pricey.

15. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I'm watching much much more than that. And my cable isn't close to $100/month

At $12 per month for a show, I would be losing out after 5 shows. And then there is all the live events.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, I personally *want* "PPV", and pay for each show, but those prices are ridiculous. Since I freely admit that the majority of what I watch is 'network' shows, even with cable, *MAYBE* it would work for me.. and I am "wasting" money on Amazon Prime (though it was $20 off normal price), though it has gotten me to use their instant video a bit.

I would pay MORE than cable for something like Netflix or Amazon Instant Video that had current shows.. But it would have to be without commercials and *clear* info about when shows expire so I could more easily decide in which order to watch things. While I do record a few shows 'for keeps', I probably would do without that (or just continue using an OTA Tivo for that).

$2-3 per episode is a ton. I would possibly pay $1-2 for *new* episodes of a Trek series _to keep_, but that's about it.

17. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    I agree with you. $2/episode would be the limit for me.

My DirecTV bill was $110/month. That was with NO premium channels. But it included two receivers, DVR (wasn't smart enough to get Tivo Lifetime when it existed), and HD service.

Live events are the problem, especially sports. My antenna is working fairly well, but now I am having problems getting ABC. Always something
    I can stream networks with filmon.com but that seems to have stuttering issues during prime time.

-Mike