TWC to Tivo question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Ruefrex, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Ruefrex

Ruefrex New Member

May 6, 2011
    I can't stand it anymore. The TWC box is so unforgivable horrid that, despite all the CableCard/SDV nonsense, I'm going to switch back to Tivo. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions, though, as I want to do this correctly.

Should I get the Tivo hooked up before I call TWC and can I download to updates before committing to the monthly service? If this whole thing goes **** up and I've bought the Tivo at Best Buy or something, I can just return it, right?

I'm on TWC in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) and I apparently have SDV, so I'll need the nefarious tuning adapter. I've been reading about cable companies allowing self-installs of CableCards. Does anyone have any experience with my particular cable office on that? Is it better to have them do it, or to do it myself?

Do I have to get the wireless adapter because I need a stupid tuning adapter, or is it okay to have the Tivo hooked up to ethernet? (I clearly have no idea what the tuning adapter is all about or how the thing works)

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this, and when to call these jackanapes and tell them where they can put their DVR. I also don't want to get charged a bazillion dollars in "fees." I realize that they want me to keep their stupid DVR so they'll do anything they can to dissuade me from switching to Tivo, so I'm hoping to be prepared when I finally have to talk to them.

Any help from you wizards would be greatly appreciated!

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

I don't have any experience with TWC but I would recommend setting up the Tivo first. It takes a while and you can get most of it done without the installer.

3. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Self-installs of cablecards will begin August 8. I agree that setting up TiVo before card install is a good idea. You will need the Tuning Adapter, but my experience has not been too bad. I've had a couple fail; TWC sent new ones, and I shipped the old ones back on their nickel.

Be sure to get a M-card (multistream card). If they say they don't have them, then don't bother to argue; call TiVo and let them know the situation. S-cards haven't been made for years, but the CCs like to use old hardware until it dies.

When you're ready, be prepared to be clear and firm on the account changes they want to make. They may say that any package deal you have will not be valid with a cablecard; that's also bogus. You may have to talk to the retention department to get what you want.

Sorry it's so tough, but that's TWC customer service.

4. Ruefrex

Ruefrex New Member

May 6, 2011
    Appreciate the responses!! Luckily, all I have through TWC is the cable service so there's no bundling issue. So is your advice to wait until they offer the self-install service? It's only a week or so away so I have no problem waiting and I can at least get the Tivo set up in the meantime.

I'm slightly less apprehensive <g>.

5. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    I'm in the SFV also and they rolled a truck for the Cable-card and also for the Tuning adapter when they went SDV so waiting may be a good idea. The installers were quite knowledgeable though and it didn't take long.

6. Ruefrex

Ruefrex New Member

May 6, 2011
    Thanks, Tony! Especially since you're in/near my area. I'll wait and see what happens.