TWC to FiOS Impact on Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rblum, Jul 26, 2011.

1. rblum

rblum New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    About 4 weeks ago, after a lengthy deliberation, I finally made the decision to switch to Verizon FiOS from Time Warner cable.

I’ve been a TWC customer for many years, and was a very early RoadRunner adopter as well as an early phone customer. I had heard that the Fios service was better, but I had a long satisfactory (mostly) experience and we also enjoyed the TW local news channel.

I have had the “remote stops responding” problem pretty much since the beginning with the Premiere and an occasional problem with the switched digital boxes on both my HD and the Premiere – more on the Premiere than the HD.
    The “remote stops responding” decreased quite a bit after the latest software revision, but the last week I had TWC it still happened 2 or 3 times.

I noticed the expected things right away – sharper picture quality, and noticeably faster internet (Roadrunner Turbo to Fios 25/25). Emails even snap in faster in Outlook.

As to the Premiere, I have not had a single remote not responding incident since the changeover. To me, that indicates the problem is related to the SDV box and/or the Tivo interface to it. I do get the occasional startup THX (Tivo XL) app playing when I go to the Tivo menu that started with the last software, but no more than with TWC.

I should mention that I use the standard definition menus and always have for two reasons. First the HD menus have been way too sluggish for my tastes, and second, with an HD in the bedroom, who wants to have two different interfaces, and pay a response penalty as a reward. I’m not sure my wife would know what to make of the HD menu.

Here’s a shocker (for me, anyway): The HD menu after FiOS installation is significantly faster and snappier! It is now fast enough (very similar to SD) that I would switch to it if it weren’t for the dual menu issue between Premiere and HD. Apparently the Premiere goes out on the internet so much for menu content that internet speed has a major impact on the response time. You’d think that once a screen was populated, that if you left and returned things would still be in local memory and response would be better, but I never saw that when I had TWC. It was just always sluggish. With FiOS I never see the sluggish response at all.

Of course the other big improvement is that I can transfer pretty much everything between my TiVo’s again. It’s just like it was in the old days when I had 2 series 2 units. I have a wired connection at both TiVo’s and transfer is fast enough that after starting a transfer and waiting a couple minutes, it is better than streaming as you can fast forward through commercials just as if you were playing a show recorded on the local drive. We like a lot of original programming from USA, TNT, and SyFy, so being able to transfer is quite helpful.

Netflix movies now stream at a higher definition more often, and I don’t think I’ve seen an incident of a pause and speed changing downward while watching a movie since the FiOS change. That was common with TWC.

Another plus is I’m back to having a cablecard in our bedroom TV for those nights when two shows are recording and I want to watch the ballgame.

I hope these observations are of value to at least some of you as I’ve picked up a lot of knowledge from here over the years. Bob

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Nice obersavation. It's also nice to be reminded how lucky I've been to have FiOS for almost four years now. ANd not be stuck with some of the other options.

3. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I've been hoping FIOS would move into Ohio. (sigh)

4. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Another big advatange is MoCA!! Love the MoCA routers from FiOS.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    rblum:

Your comments are interesting in that you have confirmed that ones cable and/or Internet provider does have a significant effect on how well TiVo's in general and specifically the Premiere works.

It would be interesting to figure out if it was Time Warner's cable card/tuning adapter setup or their actual Internet service that was causing the problem. I am guessing it was actually both.

As an OTA only user I have not seen many of the problems people talk about. I only have access to a pretty shi**y DSL service from Frontier and I know for a fact that it has affected the HDUI very negatively some of the times I have tested the HDUI.

I am the same as you have a Series 3, TiVo HD, & Premiere so using the HDUI even if I liked it and it worked great would be a pain - one UI is just easier.

Thanks For Your Post.

6. rblum

rblum New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Much is possible, of course. I think that internet speed is the factor in the HD interface responsiveness, although I have to add it seems to me that only poor software implementation on Tivo's part could allow that to be the case.

As to the not responsive to remote issue, I suppose it could be cablecard related, but at one time I swapped the one in the HD with the one in the Premiere for a few hours and saw the problem still on the Premiere. Also, the same cablecards are used in both a Premiere and the HDs, so if anything, that points to Premiere software/SDV issues.

Just my thoughts....

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    It can be more than a speed problem. At the very best I only get 5-6 Mbps most days less than 5 Mbps. However I have had times of very high packet loss also which just about makes streaming anything on anything impossible.

Also Time Warner could have been doing something that was causing a problem with connection to TiVo's servers but still showing good speed and quality if you tested it.

However I agree that TiVo should not have made the HDUI dependent on a good Internet connection to their servers. They should have built it to cache most stuff and when Internet issues were found to default to something local.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    How exactly do these work? I have Verizon FIOS but I use my own router (I had to literally beg them). Do I need some sort of adapter for each device I'm going to connect?

9. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Why??????????

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I thought the Verizon MOCA router was horrible. It didn't reach my second Tivo via wifi at all. I had to BEG to use my own router and they finally caved after several hours of yelling at them.

I swapped it out with a Netgear and saw a great improvement. Then I also added a second Netgear router and made it an access point. My entire house is covered. Trying to transfer Tivo to Tivo is still slow though.

Why is it that I can stream Netflix/Amazon HD faster than I can transfer from one Tivo to another?

11. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL
    Funny that you had to yell and beg them to use your own router. When the installer was here, he installed everything to my personal router and was setup in just a few hours. No screaming or begging.

I've had FiOS for almost a year now and I love it. So much better then crappy Brighthouse Networks. In the last year, I have had one day where everything was down, internet, phone and TV. It was back up in less than 15 minutes. from the outage time.

So, (knock on wood) I have been very pleased so far. I will never go back to Brighthouse, unless I am forced to.

12. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    You don't have to use the Fios routers for MoCA, but you do need a MoCA router. Since the Fios router is free (at least the first one), that is a good start. The MoCA routers use the coax lines to send the data to other devices, and since I have an older home that doesn't have CAT5 running all over the place it makes it easier to get network access all over my house. Since most of my house has a coax drop, I can just use another MoCA router to get network access and extend my wireless signal. I use to have wireless bridges and wireless adapters all over the place which was slow and would drop occassionally, now Inever get dropped packets and the speed is fast. I can do tivo to tivo transfers really fast, a one hour HD show usually transfers in a few minutes. I don't have any pausing or slowing when watching Netflix. It is also pretty cheap, you can buy the used Fios routers on ebay for $30-$40.

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    So I would need to connect a MOCA router to each Tivo in the house?

14. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    That's how I do it. You could get a MoCA adapter, but it is way cheaper to just buy a used Actiontec router and connect it that way. I have bought four Actiontec routers off ebay, and they cost me anywhere from $20 to $35. I am a patient buyer so if it goes higher than $35, I just move on to the next one.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Does it need to be in some sort of bridge mode or does it work just like the first router?

16. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    You'd one MOCA router and run ethernet to the TiVos. Or a MOCA router with wireless and run wireless to the TiVos. Or some combination of the above.

New FIOS installs run your internet to the router over coax (MOCA) so you need a router with MOCA on the WAN side. What you do to hook up your own network devices to the LAN side of the router is independant of that.

17. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I think it's bridge mode, but I am not positive. You need to go to the dslreports site to see how to configure the router. You need to turn off DHCP, and some other stuff which I can't remember. It's pretty easy, so you shouldn't be too worried about the setup part.

18. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL
    My place is an older place with only coax installed. They also installed the cat 5 and I use a dlink extreme router. The external box on the outside of the house is put in the bridge mode and you don't need some special router to use with FiOS.

19. rblum

rblum New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Approaching 2 months now with FiOS. Still, not a single freeze up and not responding to the remote issue.
    I also checked the HDUI and it remains "snappy", very comparable to the SDUI.

Bob