TWC Retention -- ever more bizarre

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dlfl, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

My TWC cable+internet yearly promotion just ran out and they increased my bill by $24/month. I had three discussions with retention agents before finally getting a deal (sorta) better than last years:

I keep the exact same service levels and my monthly rate increases $8 -- but they throw in a $150 Visa gift card after I've kept the deal for 90 days. The gift card is worth $12.50/month so I net out better than last year by $4.50/month.

Seems that although selling cars is trending toward less bargaining BS, TWC is going the other direction, including waiting a couple of minutes while the agent gets the deal approved by their supervisor.

2. phughes200

phughes200 Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I put up with the yearly BS for TWC for years. Each year they wanted to increase my rate from 117 to 175. Argued every year to keep my rate. Finally got tired of it and cut the cord (except for internet). Took three hours and multiple calls to convince them I was serious. Thing is if they just kept my rate where it was or slightly increased it I would still be a customer.

3. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012

I'm in your market and the same thing just happened to me -$25/mo increase. Usually they refer me to retention and then ask me what I watch to see if lowering my available channels or internet speed will get the price down (I'm on standard packages for both and never budge.) This week the first person I talked through put me on a hold for a few minutes and immediately restored my previous rate for the next 12 months.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yeah that thing of asking what channels are important to you is part of their silly game. Yesterday when asked that question for the third time I refused to play the game and told them the packages I have now are what suits me.

My hunch is that what moves them the most is when you start asking what the price of Internet alone, or Internet + Basic Cable is. They refused to give me any price lower than $80/mo for 30/5 internet alone (which is the list price in my area). However when I started asking about Basic TV + Internet they came up with the offer I finally accepted (detailed in my first post here).

I know a neighbor who gets the same services as me but uses their DVR rather than a TiVo. He just renegotiated his rate and they gave him a better deal than mine by roughly $10. This concept of lower rates for bring-your-own-box goes out the window when you're dealing with the promotional packages.

In previous years I've received a separate letter about a month in advance announcing the new "special offer" (that is: huge increase). I didn't get that letter this year and neither did my neighbor. Did you get one?

5. homersby

homersby Member

Dec 10, 2015

Advertisements

My 2 yr deal with fios is ending in early april. To read my bill I have about 65 dollars worth of discounts as part of the "deal". Since Nov they have been sending me offers to extend my contract with a 15 dollar monthly discount meaning my bill will go up 50 dollars. Then I got one offering 20. Recently I got an email saying if I do nothing my bill will go up just 20 dollars for the next year. I don't want to go to Comcast but will for the deal if Fios won't hand me the keys to the castle. At this point, after their 3 offers, I am going in asking for more, for less and think I might actually stand a chance.

6. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I'm curious to see what TW offers me in September when my deal is up. If they don't want to offer me the same deal, I'm tempted to say that I'm just switching to Hulu Plus and I'll only stay if they can match Hulu's $12 a month price lol I KNOW that won't happen, but I'm definitely curious to hear what their response, and I might do it anyway. Have to evaluate in September, see which shows we watch and if they're available on Hulu.