TWC MySignature enables MRV for their DVR's but not for Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pksyn, Apr 8, 2011.

1. pksyn

pksyn New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    I just got off the phone with TWC Kansas City. Recently, they started offering the "latest and greatest" service offering of Multi Room Viewing (about 5 years behind as usual). After several days of talking to the wrong people and empty promises to be called back, I was finally transferred to a rep that "could help me". I asked her if TWC had to change the CCI byte on their new dvr's to enable MRV. She said they did. Then I asked if that was system wide so that I could use my tivo's to MRV. Her response was "No, we want our customers to use our equipment on our network and will not be changing the CCI Byte to allow tivo's this same functionality".

Has anyone else had similar conversations?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would need to go to tivo.com and login to your account, then under DVR Preferences and check under TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS. Then in Tivo, Settings menu, to make a Tivo Connection, and wait up to 24 hrs to get a Media Access Key.

Tivo DVRs will not transfer or 'talk' to other cable company's DVRs.

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You should submit your experience to the FCC.

4. pksyn

pksyn New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm talking about TWC setting the CCI byte to 0x02 so that the recording cannot be transferred to another tivo or to tivo desktop. But based on what I was told on the phone, they are not following their own rules for their MySignature DVR's.

5. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If the TWC DVR streams its MRV rather than copies, the CCI byte doesn't matter.

6. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It does seem more plausible that streaming is taking place, and the CSR only answered out of ignorance.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Time Warner Cable has the same motto as Google.

Except for the "don't" part.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I would still submit it just to keep TWC on their toes - but the CCI byte is in the broadcast stream so they could not be that selective in who gets the CCI byte.

now if they are ignoring the CCI byte in their equipment then they should be in violation of cable labs but then TWC could just let the boxes not be certified but support them anyhow. Still it would be fodder for the FCC if TWC is doing something they do not allow TiVo to do.

If instead they are streaming well then they are doing something different than TiVo and TiVo should get on the ball and get streaming in the feature set as well.