TWC/Fios with Tivo users, please provide advice...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by siratfus, Nov 20, 2015.

1. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    I'm a Fios user, but I recently just ordered TWC, and did not choose any extra tvs/outlets due to the $19.99 fee for each. And also, I already have existing coaxial cables in each room with my TIVO minis.

I can see the main fios cable comes from the ONT terminal, from there, you can see how a 5 way spliter is used to get to each of my rooms.

From my understanding using cable before with Charter Communications, TWC should be the same in that it does not have ONT terminal. They will connect the main cable directly to their gateway router, correct? So do I just do the same thing as I did with my fios? Just use splitters to split the main cable that goes into their gateway router? BTW, their gateway router is also "all in one" with modem.

I think it would be easier if I ask them to install the router next to Fios ONT terminal. This way, I can simply connect it to the 5 way splitter from there and use all the existing cable lines.

Is my thinking correct? The existing cable lines should work as long as the TWC cable is the source of the 5 way splitter, correct? Please let me know if my understanding of how this works is flawed in anyway. For example, does TWC use different cables than Fios? I still have time to re-think if I really want to go to TWC.

Thank you!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Is the cabling RG6? That's the usual choice for Cable TV distribution and I'm guessing that's what you have. Second choice is RG59 which isn't quite as good as RG6 but probably will be OK if you're already using it successfully.

How much is the monthly fee for the TWC modem/gateway? I'm guessing at least $8/mo. If you use their phone service you're probably stuck with that. Otherwise consider buying your own modem (under $60) and router instead of paying $96/year.

Finally, why would you prefer TWC over FIOS? The common wisdom here is that FIOS is much better. BTW, you will most likely need a Tuning Adapter with TWC and, although free, they can be a major PITA. I'm on TWC using a TA and I wish I had FIOS as a choice.

3. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I depends on how your TiVo talks to your Minis. If you are using MoCA, then your FiOS router was probably creating the MoCA network, and you may need to add a MoCA adapter or configure your TiVo to create the MoCA network (if you have a MoCA capable Roamio Plus/Pro, Bolt or Premiere XL4).

If you aren't using MoCA for your Minis, then "nevermind".

4. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Well, my two years up, and they're about to charge me an arm and a leg. Well it was up two years ago too, and I had to do a little song and dance about leaving to twc in order to get a better deal, and its never as good a deals as those bundles they give new customers. I figure twc has no contract, and is giving you $300 visa card if you stick to service for three months. So if I don't like it, Im not out much and I'll get right back to FiOS as a new customer. That's why I'm holding off buying my own equipment for twc.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    So FIOS requires a contract? Assuming you do the "little song and dance" again with FIOS what is the cost difference between them and TWC? TWC will require the same song and dance to avoid big yearly increases plus you probably will have to deal with their Tuning Adapter, which will be a PITA unless you are lucky. The simplest problem commonly occurring with TA's is you lose some or all of your channels about once a month and have to power-cycle the TA.