TWC -> FiOS -- can I use my own router w/ my Roamio & Cable Card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by the block, Apr 25, 2016.

1. the block

the block Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Upstate NY

Advertisements

I am a current TWC customer with a 6 tuner Roamio. FiOS just came to my neighborhood and I am switching next week.

My question is, I don't want to buy or rent the Verizon router when I have a perfectly good ASUS RT-AC68P that I would much rather use.

I have read conflicting accounts of TiVo users being able to use their own router and still get TV Service. How I assumed it would work is I would ask the installer to run both an ethernet and coax cable from the ONT like this:

ONT -> Ethernet -> My Router (Internet Access)
    ONT -> Coax -> My TiVo/Cable Card (TV Service)

In this set up my TiVo would pull TV Service from the ONT, but guide data from the LAN as it does now.

Can those that use their own Router & also have TiVo give me a couple tips so I can be prepared for next week? Thank you!

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Your solution will work just fine.

3. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Not familiar with FIOS, but unless they allow you to buy your own router, I think you'll need to use their device to connect to their service and split out the services. You can always assign their router's internal network IP to something like 192.168.0.1, enable DHCP server and disable the wireless function, then connect your router's WAN port to the FIOS router LAN port. You just need to make sure your router uses a different IP network, like 192.168.1

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah, none of that is necessary. You can use your own router with an Ethernet install, you can buy one of theirs from them or off of Ebay or wherever. If you order the lowest speed tiers 50/50, 75/75 they may want to do a coax/MoCA install but most installers will do Ethernet if you ask and it is not too difficult a run. Some run their own Cat 5e to nearby where the ONT is in advance. If you are getting 100/100 or above the standard install is Ethernet.
    Some people pick up an Actiontec W1424WR off of Ebay just to have in case there are problems as support relies on the diagnostics, otherwise, you may have to wait for a truck roll to get an issue diagnosed and fixed.