TWC-Dallas & CCI with HBO's True Blood

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Sep 20, 2008.

1. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

Just wanted to know if anyone else with TWC in the Dallas-Fort Worth area noticed this inconsitancy as well.

"True Blood"on HBO-HD (815 in my area) Premeired last week on Sunday night.

I have an S3, & a TiVo HD unit.

Last week, My S3 recorded 8 showings of "True Blood"at various different times & days of the week.

In fear of the CCI copy protection flag that seems to be used on HBO-HD in Dallas I also set "True Blood" to be recorded on my BEDROOM TiVO HD in case I or my wife wanted to watch it there as well. The Bedroom TiVo unit also recorded 8 showings of "True Blood"

Of the total 8 showing that EACH unit recorded. Both units recorded 4 of the 8 shows at the exact same time as each other.

Thus out of 16 recordings of "True Blood"there were 12 distinct different recordings made at 12 different times.

Of the 8 recordings on my Livingroom S3 TiVo.... Only 5 are Copy protected which prevents me from MRV'ing. 3 are NOT marked.

Of the 8 recordings on my Bedroom TiVo HD unit. 4 are copy protected which prevents me from MRV'ing. 4 are NOT marked.

Here is what is interesting. 2 of the recordings on each unit that were NOT marked with the copy protection were made at the same exact time. Leaving The other 3 recordings that were NOT marked were each recorded at a different time. The shows that were marked with a copy protection flag, some were at the same time, some were not.

Now.... knowing all that... and normally EVERYTHING is marked with copy protection flag from HBO-HD I am wondering about TWC, HBO & even TiVo.

Why do I say TiVO? because both TiVo's recorded the same showing of "True Blood" yet one unit marked that showing with a copy protection flag while the other unit did not, & even vice versa! In other words. One time both units marked the show with the flag, another time neither unit put the flag on, and another time the S3 did while the HD unit didn't, & last but not least, one other time the HD unit did while the S3 unit did not.

Weird don't you think? Any speculation? Educated gueses?

Did anyone else record "True Blood" and NOT get the copy protection flag?

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Am I understanding, not only do you have the issue of the CCI flag, but your SP recorded 12/16 showings? If so, that's an interesting issue. :confused:

I'm not much help otherwise. Comcast here in Houston, the SP is recording the first showing only, as it should, and it does have CCI set to not copy. I can see it on my wife's S3, but it has the red circle.

3. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I purposely made each unit (S3/HD) record 8 showings of "True Blood" for a total 16 recordings, 12 different times.

I have noticed with other HBO shows sometimes a show didn't have the Copy protection flag and sometimes I did. I was trying to determine if it was the unit. Now I know it isn't nessarily the unit.

Today is Sunday. A new episode starts this week, going to check to see if about th CCI bit on tonights episode.

TGC

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Aah, I got it now. Sorry, the lack of a/c & power in Houston has made all of us a little slow. :D

5. masterwick

masterwick Member

Feb 10, 2006

Advertisements

Is the TivoHD using a multi-stream CC?

I wonder if there is something in TWC system with CCI byte settings that play different between different types of cards. In theory, they should all read the same code the same but in practice they may not.

6. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    2 S-Cards in the living room S3

1 m-cards in the bedroom THD.

However as good as your idea sounds. Remember that both recorded and set the copy protection flag when the other unit did not, and vice versa.

TGC

7. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    I'm in DFW also, and got these episodes of True Blood recorded from channel 815:

Strange Love @ 7:00pm 9/25 -- 0x02
    The First Taste @ 8:00pm 9/25 -- 0x00 (!)
    Mine @ 10:30pm 9/23 -- 0x02

So TWC screwed up the CCI setting for episode 2 on HBO HD.

TTYL
    David