TWC Charlotte NC. Loss of all channels on Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JC Fedorczyk, Oct 14, 2008.

1. JC Fedorczyk

JC Fedorczyk New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Huntersville...

Advertisements

Who else has been impacted by this. It appears to have happened Sunday evening around 10pm. Calls to TWC support have been worthless and they are dispatching a tech today. I'd like to collect a poll of people in the area that are now simply staring at the "please wait acquiring channels" screen.

2. monkeyhouse

monkeyhouse Troubled by TWC

Sep 5, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh wow. I don't know whether to be relieved or more concerned!
    Our Tivo went black at the same time on Sunday night.

I posted a plee about about it over on the 'Official Time Warner Cable Thread' here
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=6761568#post6761568

So do you receive any channels (albeit under the wrong channel number) or it's just black throughout? I'm not stuck on the "please wait acquiring channels" screen, though I did see it after I first restarted the TivoHD but it eventually went to a black screen (with the guide intact, though that's not supplied by TWC is it). As I say, some channel flicking around, I've found a bunch still coming in, though all out of order and certainly not all of them.

I've not yet contacted TWC. I was hoping for it either to fix itself or I find a solution on here first. Dealing with TWC is like pulling teeth. I had a real bad ordeal with them when I first had be TivoHD cable card installed, and I don't want a repeat ordeal anywhere close to as bad as that again!

Let us know what happens with the tech today.

I'm in South Charlotte, btw and thanks for sharing this info. Too much of a coincidence that this happened at the same time.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    just as a reference point - the analog channels in Charlotte have been fine. I looked at my one cable box and channels there were fine though I let that DT TiVo get channel 3 as analog so can not be specific about that channel.

4. JC Fedorczyk

JC Fedorczyk New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Huntersville...
    I can't get past the acquiring channels screen. I called this morning to see if I could get a hold of a person that did cable card setups and was told that they are out sick. I'm hoping that if I can just get them to go through the card authorization process it will kickstart whatever is wrong. I'm not getting any ECM or EMM counts. Just the hits they send. The tech made the mistake of telling me the name of the backup person that does card setups "Frank Christmas" I am hopeful that I get a tech that has 1/2 a brain since I'm not going to let him do anything until he calls his card setup guys.

5. mdl_77

mdl_77 New Member

Nov 10, 2006

Advertisements

Charlotte resident here and having the same issue. It definitely went out at 10pm on Sunday as the OP said. I was about to watch Entourage when all of the channels went black on both my S3 and Tivo HD. TWC has set me up with a truck roll tomorrow, but if anyone has success today, please post back.

6. JC Fedorczyk

JC Fedorczyk New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Huntersville...
    The tech called to tell me he was on his way. Speaking with him for a few minutes it appears that the problem is with cable cards in general as he stated that he has gotten calls from other techs asking if he had a solution. He'll be here around noon. I'll post the findings once he's arrived.

7. JC Fedorczyk

JC Fedorczyk New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Huntersville...
    Tech showed up and checked the normal things. He ended up calling the engineering group. They basically removed the cards and did the binding again. The one problem that he did see (and that I think is the root cause) is that the files that tell the cable card what region it is in and give it the channel map were all bogus. He saw 25 files that were all 4 bytes long. The file is typically 6000 bits according to him. He deleted those files so that the cablecard could find the actual file it needed. Reauthorized the cards and the channels returned. Apparently (I always take this part with a grain of salt) they are looking into the problem from their end to see what happened and doing more troubleshooting

8. monkeyhouse

Sep 5, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm very impressed that you got your problem fixed with the first visit! Did you catch the techs name? Cos I'll request him! Well I guess I need to call TWC then, that's the first hurdle, which you had to endure too.

It'd be nice if there was a way of finding out what they find out as to why this happened.

On a side note, a work colleague with a TivoHD didn't suffer this problem, so it didn't happen to all Charlotte Tivo users.

9. JC Fedorczyk

JC Fedorczyk New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Huntersville...
    Tech's name was Luke. I do not know who the engineer was on the other side of the walkie talkie but it was the engineer that did it all. I basically didn't let Luke do anything and told him what needed to be done. I didn't even let him touch the remote....He was not really in the know with cable cards so I took some time to explain to him how the tivo works with the cable cards, balancing, pairing etc.

10. monkeyhouse

Sep 5, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I see. Well, in my sad experience, I've had dumb... errr... not so enlightened techs come to the house and be on the other end of the walkie talkie too. It got so bad during the installation of the cable card card first time round that they managed to mess up our account, as in, they took equipment off our account and added equipment we didn't have for some reason! Also, the 'engineer' on the phone with the tech once gave up, not knowing what to do next and hung up on the guy! Leaving him not being able to do anything and looking like a right wally. Ultimately, though the final tech that came out knew what he was doing. He was from TWC, not from the third party company TWC use, and was the geekiest of geeks, and for that I am thankful. He didn't need any instruction from me, he just got the job done. He also admitted to me that there was only him and one other tech that knew about cable cards well enough to do the job and he didn't know why he, or the other guy, wasn't asked to do this in the first place! He must have been good 'cos he had other techs calling him for advice while he was at my house! I wish I remembered his name (Scott maybe). I remember asking for his personal number, but he declined to divulge that particular information! Hopefully there are more experienced techs now, but I shan't get my hopes up.

I may post the entire saga on here sometime.

Thanks for the updates and I'll post back with how I get on here.

11. monkeyhouse

Sep 5, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    As luck would have it, this morning we turned the TV on to a fully functional, guide synced, set of channels, all in their correct position. I have no idea why, but I'm glad it's corrected itself without the need for a TWC tech to come out - who I couldn't get until the weekend anyway.

Apparently we had a brief power cut at around 5am this morning too. Could that have had something to do with it? Well, if there was a power spike, is that possible? But I did disconnect the TivoHD from the power more than once when the problem initially happened.

Oh well. Still interested to know if this happened to anyone else though. Given that there's 3 or 4 people on here reporting it, there must be more out there, you'd think.