TV wall mount TiVo setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by amyg, Jun 13, 2011.

1. amyg

amyg Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando,...
    I would like to mount my tv on the wall, but would like the tivo in a closet across the room. Any ideas what I need to accomplish this? Seems like with a repeater I have to have a wire running from tv to the components. Is that the case? Is there something on the market that is wireless?
    thx, amy

2. TrueEddie

TrueEddie Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I just did a setup kind of like this. I have a TiVo on a Dresser to the side of my bed and I mounted a TV to the wall in front of my bed.

I got this wireless HDMI transmitter to transmit the TiVo to the TV. The remote seems to work just fine even when pointing at the TV (I guess I'm getting lucky with the IR bouncing off the walls).

You will probably need a remote that supports RF, so that the remote doesn't have to have line of sight to the TiVo. Maybe a Harmony 900.

3. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Depending on your home setup, HDMI can run about 30' without an amp. I have a TiVo in the basement running to a TV in the kitchen. I use the TiVo slide remote to control through bluetooth. I looked at wireless, but they're a bit pricey, where the cable was only about $25.

4. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
  5. sddave

sddave New Member

May 2, 2008
    This is the wireless product I use to send AV from theater to Living Room.
    http://avior.iogear.com/product/GWAV8141K/

Searching IOGEAR's website will not find this product. It is sold by CDW.

6. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I did the same thing you want to do. I tried a wireless IR extender, but it seemed too unresponsive. I do have a lot of interference (WiFi, baby monitor, cordless phone, etc.) and it was a relatively cheap extender, though.

I decided to go with a wired solution, and it works great! Here's what I have: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Aco...TDZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308237190&sr=8-1 . It works very well, and just has a small receiver that sticks to your TV. You can extend the range as far as you need by just using a standard headphone extension cable. If you're able to run a wire through the basement, ceiling, or along a baseboard, you might want to consider going this route instead.