TV Torrents?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Satchel, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Looking for a torrent of tonight's L Word...BTEFNET.net doesn't have it...

anyone know of another good TV torrent site?

2. debtoine

debtoine WTTWDC

May 17, 2001
    NJ
  3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's on btefnet now

4. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    For the second straight week, my local fox affiliate lost its signal, ruining 24. Once we discovered the error, we were able to watch the second half on DirecTV.

I'm trying the torrents, but I must be doing something wrong. I have the JRE, and downloaded Azureus. When customizing, I get a "NAT error" when testing.

Downloading (or whatever it's called - I don't need a ten-page semantics argument) gets me a "yellow dot" and last week's episode has been stuck at 99.x% for hours......even though the software says it's downloaded more than the file size.

I assume I'll need a viewer too? Or will it work on WMP 10?

5. toddvj

toddvj New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    St. Paul, MN

Advertisements

If it's at 99.x%, I'd try playing it anyway. I've not used Azureus, but with BitComet, you have to change the filename, it puts a .BC! extension to unfinished files. You probably have the whole thing. I bet if you check what other peers have, you'd find they are all stuck at 99.x% as well.

6. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I use WMP10. Should work just fine. If it doesn't, there are three plug-ins that I have been told you need. Once I installed them all, I haven't had any problems playing anything. No idea if all three are actually needed.

Try this: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
    and this: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm
    and this: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

As for why your download is hung up, I don't know. I've never had that happen. If I'm watching the download as it gets near the end, it usually does download a little more than what it says the file size is, but not significantly. You might try exiting the program and restarting it. It will then resume your transfer and might kickstart it.

7. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I just use the original bitorrent client authored by the creator of Bitorrent itself (Bram Cohen). No Java or anything necessary. It integrates with Internet Explorer... you click on a torrent file on one of the torrent sites, and it asks where you want to save the file, then gives you a download window all very similar to what you get when you download a regular file using Internet Explorer. You can get it here... http://filesharing.isgreat.tv/programs.html

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I use BitTornado. I've tried others but this one works best for me. I like the Azereus interface but I couldn't get good download speeds. I think I was setting it up wrong. Even when I removed my router/firewall the speeds were still awful. I get 60-70KB kB/s on average usually. I couldn't get above 15 with Azereus.

9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I've tried 3-4 different clients and Azureus was by far the best for me. I've had some files that will come in at well over 100 Kbps. That's not the average, but it has happened.

10. Freki

Freki New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    BitTornado has the ability to let you only download specific episodes of a multi-episode torrent, which is nice. I hate having to download a whole season of some show when I'm only missing one or two episodes.

I've had a couple of downloads hang at 99.x% done and never finish. When I stopped the download and restarted it, it showed as done after it did the file check. If you got a lot of bad segments during the download, it might have lost track of what pieces it successfully downloaded.

11. thatmeowgirl

thatmeowgirl New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    LA
    I must be doing something wrong.

New to torrents and I'm using Aureus. This thing has taken sooooo long to download.
    Was I supposed to configure something differently in Preferences before I started? It's so slow, it's discouraging.

I'm at 98.2% right now after too many hours.

12. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    A lot simply depends on how many other people are seeding or leeching the file.

If you're NATted behind a router and don't have the TCP incoming port that you have configured in Azureus opened in your router for incoming connections, you'll experience problems. If you've seen it maintain a decent upload rate as well as downloaded that much then you're probably OK in this regard; if it never uploaded anything, then this is probably why you're having trouble.

13. thatmeowgirl

thatmeowgirl New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    LA
    Thanks dswallow!

Okay it's at 99% and staying there, which according to info posted above, is okay,

I've read a lot of posting re: how to view, but of course, I'm still confused.

What is the best software for viewing. It looks like the file saved as a Quicktime file.

I know I can get this, then I'll be done with the questions, promise, lol.

14. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Quicktime is very uncommon for TV torrents; are you sure? If it's AVI or MPG you'd use Media Player or an equivalent, but just need to have installed any codecs required; usually most of these are DivX or XviD encoded; the links devdogaz gave above for the FFDShow codec are good as it'll handle a variety of different encodings. A handful need the AC3 codec for audio.

If you have a recent version of WinDVD or other DVD player that might bundle MPEG4 codecs compatible with DivX or XviD into them you're all set; you can just try playing the file you download and if you get audio and video, you need do nothing more. If you get no video, install the FFDShow codec; if you get no audio, install the AC3 codec. Alternately you could get the curretn DivX and XviD codecs themselves instead of using FFDShow -- www.xvid.org and www.divx.org is where you can start looking for links to Windows DirectShow filters of them.

15. thatmeowgirl

thatmeowgirl New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    LA
    Ooo you're right, it is an avi file. Sorry, I think the rain here in LA has washed away my senses.

Okay proceeding with devdogz' links.

Thanks again dswallow!

16. thatmeowgirl

thatmeowgirl New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    LA
    Grrr, the links are for Windows users and I'm on a Mac.

17. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm sure some Mac-head around here will step up to the plate to help you, lest it become possible to point out another reason a PC is better; you, however, might need to create a thread with a title that attracts such people. :D

There should be some links to such things via the XviD and DivX links I gave, though.

18. thatmeowgirl

thatmeowgirl New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    LA
    I'm determined to figure this out.

You've been so helpful dswallow, thanks!

19. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
  20. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Good for you! :) Quicktime is a bit annoying in its insistence that it can play AVI files, which are very common on Bittorrent. Sometimes it can, but usually you need to go to another player. (It of course has no problem with mpg files, also common on Bittorrent.)

MPlayer is a good multiformat player for OSX. It will play almost anything (MPEG 1-4, DivX, AVI, ASF, Ogg Vorbis, RealMedia, QuickTime Movie, MPEG layer 1-3, AC3, WMA, and probably more). You can get it here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16623

Have fun!