TV shows starting before the time listed

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by replaytv, Dec 17, 2012.

1. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Why do the idiot broadcasters have to start shows before the time listed or end late? It is usually only a minute or two, but it means that I miss the first part of the show. I know I can add some time on the front of the time when I start the recording, but then I sometimes have trouble with that conflicting with another show. Don't the providers know that most of us use DVRs now and it is causing problems with us? I was thinking of writing to the advertisers of a show that does it a lot ( Big Bang Theory ) and tell them that I am boycotting any show that advertises on shows that start early or end late. Wow, I bet they are shaking in their boots now!!

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm still not seeing this. NCIS, Fringe, SVU, etc. are recorded for me with no issue and with no padding. I get the beginning and the end with all of the previews. The few shows I watch that start or end a minute early or late are scheduled in the guide that way so the TiVo starts recording at the proper time. Like Greys Anatomy which ends around two minutes after ten and Scandal which starts right after. The schedule reflects these times and my recordings haven't missed anything.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    With a 4 tuner Elite I can pad everything and not worry about conflicts.

Dan

4. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I don't think I've ever seen a show start early.

The Big Bang Theory records fine every week. I think there is also a lead-in promoting the evenings lineup at the start also.

Are you sure you don't have conflicts so that the beginnings of the shows are clipped. The To Do list will have an asterisk in the listing for shows that are clipped.

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Add my to the list of posters who don't have a problem with shows starting early. I suspect you have a padding issue. Do you pad your shows? A number of shows are scheduled to run a minute over. You could have an issue with soft padding. In that case would you rather miss a minute or would your rather skip recording the show altogether?

Could there be a problem with the clock on your tivo. Try forcing a connection about 30 minutes before you start recording a show which normally gives you a problem.

Write to the advertisers :confused: Do you really think they care about (FF through commercials) DVR viewers.

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    There are several other threads discussing this. There are channels, mostly on cable, that tend to run programs slightly past the 60 minute period. It's usually only about 30 seconds or so.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I forgot about the auto clipping feature. I always turn that off specifically because it can cause this issue.

Check your To Do List ahead of time. It could be that the show before the ones starting late are actually running over causing the first minute of the show to be clipped. (default is to have that setting on) If that's the case then turning that off or rearranging your SPs might help alleviate the problem.

Dan

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I have stations that seem to run a little long, missing the last joke. But not early. I figured it was a ploy to get us to record one last commercial...

I think that lots of folks use DVRs, but not yet "most of us."

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am OTA only in Rochester NY and I don't have problems with missing any of my actual shows but sometimes I will lose some of the next week preview, so my local broadcasters must be pretty good.

Just curious how does the local rebroadcasting actually work? Do local broadcasters get the shows downloaded to them for rebroadcast, have a live stream that they cache slightly and then rebroadcast, actually rebroadcast a live stream from the networks, or something else?

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The only show I notice that starts early is The Simpsons. It starts about 30 seconds before the hour and if you don't pad, you'll miss what Bart writes on the chalkboard.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ("now"? You're a decade too late, plus at least I was using VCRs for over a decade before that.)

If you DVR the show, you likely skip commercials.. They don't want that, plus they can make their more popular shows longer than an hour and put more higher cost commercials in them.

The biggest example (to me) is 'er'. At least FOR ME 'er' is the show that originally caused the necessity for padding. They started at 9:59 (or even 9:58?) for YEARS, and then finally updated the official start time. You couldn't do END padding for 4 minutes at the time, so I stopped recording CSI mostly because of this. (I would've done a 9:00-9:59 repeating manual CSI recording, then an 'er' recording with a minute pre-pad.)

But yes, starting/ending LATE is by far more prevalent. Discovery, E! (not that I've watched anything there in a long time) need 1 minute post pad for EVERYTHING. MTV needs ~5 minutes end padding to absolutely catch things, but 2 minutes USUALLY works.

Survivor USED to need end padding, but that hasn't been true for several years.

NBC shows (at least on Thurs) ALWAYS run over.

12. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    A few shows run a minute over. The question is if you'd rather have the lower priority programmed "clipped" or would you rather tivo didn't record a show?

Clipping may be preferable for a show which is only aired once (network show) but not for a cable show which is aired multiple times, sometimes on multiple channels.

I guess a perfect solution would be an option to reschedule the recording time of anytime a show has another airing within a specified time period (maybe 24 hours) but otherwise clip the program with the lower priority.

13. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. I will look into all those suggestions.

14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    How about CBS?

Mon, 12/17, on CBS, 2 Broke Girls was scheduled to start at 8pm MST and started a minute or so early. Same night, also on CBS, Hawaii 5-0 was scheduled to start at 9pm but started earlier than that. I think the early start was much less than a minute. Probably closer to 10 or 15 seconds early. I am recording OTA, so I suppose it could be my local broadcaster. However I don't care enough about either to bother padding them for a few seconds worth of content.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A better option would be to allow the user to toggle clipping on/off inside each SP. That way you could pick which shows you're OK with being clipped and which ones you aren't. For ones that have the clipping option turned off the scheduling logic could automatically try to find another airing and reschedule.

Dan

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    i recorded Hawaii 5-0 on 12/17(from OTA) and had about 10 second lead in time before the show started without any padding, so there must be a problem with your local broadcaster.

17. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Same here.

18. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    ^ This.

Be careful assuming that "I have not experienced" = "Does not exist".

19. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    One example I can think of on cable is South Park on Comedy Central. I always miss the last seconds of this (maybe 10 or 15 sec?). Again, perhaps this is my provider (Cableone in Boise).

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You just answered your own question.

Actually, that's not quite true. "Greedy" is closer to the mark. The simple fact is the broadcasters really don't care at all about the broadcast content, except during sweeps week. 'Back when I worked for a CATV company, we could take down a local channel for the entire time the show itself was running and we would not hear a peep from them, but if the channel was still down when the commercial started, the phones would start ringing off the wall. If we happened to be working on the equipment inside the station, the chief engineer would be at our side, hovering over us and making us wait until the commercial was over, and then start hounding us to get the feed back up about a minute before the commercials started again. I remember one time we were working on some equipment for over two and a half hours, an the station would only agree to let us do the work if we promised to have the feed back up for every commercial break. When we missed two commercial breaks, the station manager called the local CATV company GM and raised hell.

Do you really think they care? If so, I hate to burst your bubble, but they really don't. They don't make any money off the shows - only off commercials.

They *REALLY* don't care.

Yes, but not only do you personally not represent enough revenue to be worth their notice, it's not like you won't see the same commercials on whatever channel you do watch in lieu of the boycotted ones. Only if you and a large number of other viewers boycott all network television will it have any significant impact, especially to the advertisers.