tv series' with best music?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by northmoor, Sep 30, 2007.

1. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    just wondering what people here think are the tv series (past & present) with the best music, in general.

Ones that come to mind for me recently are Grey's Anatomy, Smallville, The L Word, and One Tree Hill. I liked a few of the eps of West Wing, but it didn't have as much music in it as some others that I recall. When it did, I generally liked it.

I think it'd be interesting to see people's favorites, so, anyone else have any others?

(And, I realize "best music" is very subjective, but feel free to list anything or shows.)

2. HiddenSky

HiddenSky Let's Go Flyers!

Dec 13, 2004
    Suburban...
    Homicide: Life on the Street always had an interesting music mix and I think it was one of the first series that made me pay attention to music. Buffy was another show where I liked the music, and it was Due South that turned me onto Sarah McLachlan's music.

3. TiVoter123

TiVoter123 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Orange, CA
    All time best is Dawson's Creek... What about Brian and Everwood were good when they were on. As of now my favorites are Brothers and Sisters, Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs. Often times my favorite songs come from TV shows.

4. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    that's why I posted this, as I've "discovered" some music that I really like that I'm sure I likely wouldn't have heard otherwise. As an example, from Grey's Anatomy last season, I liked a song called "Running On Sunshine" by Jesus Jackson and a number of others, including ones by The Bamboos, The Chalets, and even some less popular songs by better known artists like the Dixie Chicks, Gnarls Barkley, Tegan and Sara, and Snow Patrol. Also, a few years back, it was kind of fun to "re-discover" Van Morrison after hearing some of his stuff in The West Wing.

keep em coming! thanks

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Cold Case

6. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    The original Twilight Zone, those episodes with music from Bernard Herrmann.

7. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Crime Story. Wiseguy.

8. CorgiMom28

CorgiMom28 In search of a Title

Jan 6, 2007
    The "Freak...
    Las Vegas, Grey's, and Cold Case are old favorites. Journeyman and Chuck have potential to have good music.

9. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    this is easy..... WKRP in Cincinatti

10. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Agreed and some of their music people went onto shows like The OC, Grey's and now Gossip Girl.

11. milliepuppy

milliepuppy New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Santa...
    im kind of liking the music of 'Back to You' , the show ain't much chop but the titles are quite good ....

12. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    My Name Is Earl
    Friday Night Lights

13. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Other than the Twilight Zone comment, I guess you are referring to songs? Then I suppose it's the show that had the biggest budget for music clearance. ;)

Personally I prefer the original score, but I'm definitely a minority. In that case, I'd vote for "Amazing Stories." Some terrific music composed by some of the heavy hitters of the time (John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner...the list goes on!).

14. Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    Scrubs. Don't really care for the show, but loved the episode with Polyphonic Spree, "reach for the sun". Still rings in my head periodically...

go ahead, Limewire it, you know you want to....

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Just about every David E Kelly show has great music!

16. ToddNeedsTiVo

ToddNeedsTiVo Shampoo is not toxic

Sep 1, 2003
    Ankeny, IA
    The Sopranos always had some eclectic stuff.

17. USAFSSO

USAFSSO Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Las Cruces, NM
    Miami Vice​

18. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    I'm frequently surprised by the quality of music in UK shows - both new songs and great oldies. I suppose rights are less expensive there.

19. mattpol

mattpol ILYA KOVALCHUK

Jul 23, 2003
    NEW YORK...
    The music on Weeds is fantastic.

20. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Freaks & Geeks